Working in a field which is high pressure, and high confidentiality creates stories like an iceberg. You can see what's on the surface, but there is always much more underneath. Some are funny, some are unique, and some are heartbreaking.
A big thank you to these nurses, who shared their stories on Whisper, a secret-sharing website for anonymous contributors worldwide.
1. I'm a nurse. One of my critical patients was worried about his dog and the fact that he didn't have any family. I promised to go get his dog. He passed away. I still have his dog.
2. I got nurse of the month... None of my co-workers know I rush home to smoke pot after work.
3. I'm a labor and delivery nurse, and while I may seem strong when I'm with you, I will always sob hysterically in my car after my shift when I have a patient that loses a baby.
4. My first night as an Emergency Room nurse involved fighting to save my best friend's life. When I said best friends forever, I meant it.
5. So I got "married" today. To an 8-year-old leukemia patient that died 3 hours later. She died happy, at least. Sometimes that's the best a nurse can hope for.
6. I once pretended to miss a patient's vein so I could stick them 3 times due to their bad attitude.
7. Being a nurse has made me hate people. I just saved my other patient's life during a code but sure, keep yelling at me for forgetting your ice cream. That's obviously more important.
8. Yes, we gossip about your private parts.
9. I have never believed in God. But when a patient loses all hope, I don't hesitate to hold their hand and pray with them.
10. I'm a nurse. Last night I hooked up with a random guy at a bar. The condom broke, and I didn't think much of it. Today, I checked him in as a patient for having an STD. Great.
11. Now that I'm a nurse I look at men and think, "Wow. He has beautiful veins."
12. Nothing upsets me more than the term "murse." Yes, I'm a man. Yes, I'm a nurse. Get over it, because I'm going to be your nurse. We're all equal.
13. I hate how people always say my tattoos and gauges are unprofessional. It's not like they make me work less hard to save your life.
14. I'm a surgeon, and after a good save, the nurses and I have dance parties and I have dance parties in the OR for our 3 minutes of celebration.
15. My bosses say we nurses shouldn't get emotionally attached to the kids we work with, but I think that's a pile of horse sh*t. I love every single one of them