People on Reddit shared their favorite stories of animals that evolution screwed over. Enjoy.
Many thanks to the Redditors who responded. You can check out more answers from the source at the end of this article.
1. Koalas. They're so stupid they can't even identify eucalyptus leaves if they're not on a branch. They also have bad teeth, which means if they wear down their teeth too much (which they will, because they eat leaves) they'll just starve to death. Also the babies have to eat the mother's poop.
2. Bees got stuck with a bad defense system. "Get out of my house!... oh I seem to have ripped my own guts out."
3. Well, evolution let humans grasp the concept of our own mortality, but left us largely unable to deal with it.
4. I think evolution put the snail in a funny spot. At some point during a snail's life, its body will twist in a way such that it would allow the snail to retract its head into the shell, offering better protection. However, as a result, the snail's anus will sit directly above its head, and the anus could empty into its mouth.
5. I wouldn't strictly say the hardest, but I would nominate Giraffes for inheriting a bunch of weird coping mechanisms for the niche it's carved itself.
A giraffe starts life by falling 2 meters (6ft) to the ground. Being the only mammal born with horns (ossicones), this is an unpleasant start for everyone involved. Then things get weird.
This response continues on the next page!