Unfortunately, not all love lasts forever. Here are some people sharing the moment they realized their love was over.
Many thanks to the Redditors who responded. You can check out more answers from the source at the end of this article.
1. When my dog died and she said "Finally".
2. She came home from a work trip. I met her at the airport and kissed her and she laughed uncomfortably and half-turned away. I planted the kiss half on her lips and half on her cheek. It's weird to feel awkward with someone you've known intimately for so many years.
This kicked off several weeks of weirdness, deception on her part, snooping on my part, and the final realization that she cheated on me during her work trip and it was still continuing. Worst feeling in the world.
Ended up being the best thing for me. The relationship sucked and once I got over the initial rejection, I soon realized I was in for a much better future.
3. I had a really cool break-up a while ago. Me and my ex (who I had been seeing for three years or so) had just gone a few weeks without seeing each other, I was out of town.
I got back and we decided to go to the hardware store for something or other. We shopped together, got in the car, looked at each other for a long time and he said "This is over, isn't it?" and I said "Yes, I think so." And that was the end of it.
It was really weird, but we both just knew it at the same moment. I guess we just had no feelings left for each other at that point.
4. The hesitation before she returned an "I love you."
The way she would kiss me, almost as if it was just mechanical.
She lost that spark in her eye when she looked at me.
I just knew, man. Maybe her sleeping with her ex behind my back was the biggest indicator.
5. When I was relying on memories of what we used to be like to justify staying with him.
6. Funny story in retrospect. My first serious relationship lasted roughly six years, and it came to an end when we were having a tiff and in her typical passive aggressive manor, she said, "You don't love me anymore."
But then something strange happened...
This response continues on the next page!