Sometimes you just need a second opinion. Gay men of Reddit were asked: "What advice do you have for straight men?" These are some of the best answers:
1. Take care of your fingernails. Get a manicure once in a while. Hands are sexy.
2. Do not assume all gay/bi men are interested in you.
3. We hear a lot from your girlfriends. Like, a lot. If we're close, she'll tell us the whole story. And one thing I've learned from woman I know/hardly know/have literally met that night, it's that penis size doesn't matter. Most women and gays would much prefer a guy who knows what he's doing than someone who just sits on his high horse because his johnson's above average. And yeah, there are size queens, but they aren't important.
4. Eat lots of pineapple and honey. ;)
5. Try to stop worrying too much when interacting with women you fancy; I've known a fair few of my straight friends incapable of flirting with women, whereas I've had to turn down the same women without even realizing I was seeming flirtatious because I was just talking to them as I would anyone else without any agenda.
6. As long as a gay friend isn't crushing on you, we're really good at helping you figure out if a girl is right for you or if you're just blinded by desire. I saw so many friends in college chase after girls that were completely wrong for them, just because of their looks. Gay men totally do the same thing when it comes to other men, so we can use your help as a filter as well.
7. Clean up. Personal hygeine is key. Shower and deodorant. We guys sweat and can stink. A good cologne will make the ladies swoon. Also guys you can moisturize, lotion is fine. Also a nicely groomed beard is a good thing.
8. Don't treat your gay friends any differently than any of your other friends. If you're physically affectionate with your other friends but actively avoid doing so with your gay friend, we notice. If you have no trouble walking into a public bathroom with your other friends, but wait until your gay friend is done before going in, we notice.
9. Don't be scared to really get in and scrub the old sheriff's badge, and there should always be a good scrubbing down there between your last number 2 and the next time you might have sex.
Have had female friends confide that the smell turns them off from BJs, but then find out the smell they're talking about isn't just normal musk, but just poor butt hygiene. I feel bad for ladies who think this is just how guys are. Have also heard this is worse among hotter guys, which I guess makes sense since people might not tell them as often that there's a problem.
10. We can tell that your homophobia/discomfort around us is often rooted in insecurity about your own sexuality. More often than not, homophobia = curious about the cock just a little bit. We've been dealing with homophobes for most of our lives, so we can smell it from a mile away.
11. If you're wearing sweatpants, everyone can see your pecker.
12. Three words: Mow. The Lawn.
13. As a gay man, I just want to say that it's ok to express your emotions. It's also ok to discuss your feelings and may even help your relationship with a significant other. Too many men today put their feelings in an air tight container and end up losing part of themselves, yet feel it's the right course of action to preserve their machismo.
14. Be confident, not creepy. I have seen so many good looking guys totally blow it when hitting on my friends.
15. Look a girl in the eyes. Keep your gaze off her breasts and ass.
16. If you truly hate gays, don't be too obvious about it. In my experience, the men who are most overtly uncomfortable around gays are the ones most willing to mess around with me after a few beers.
17. Don't be so afraid to be feminine! You wanna wax your eyebrows, go ahead, you're not less of a man. Wanna dye your hair bright colors? Go ahead! Wanna paint your nails? Go ahead. Wanna wear a skirt? Go ahead!
Your manliness is decided by you, not your lack of femininity.
18. The only cologne you will ever need is musk. Apply a small dab behind each ear and to each wrist. It blends with the scent of you to make you smell like a more attractive animal, so even if you get sweaty after you've applied it people will think you meant to smell that way.
19. Don't ask us who tops or who bottoms and especially don't ask "Which one of you is the man?" If you have questions about gay people, politely ask if you can ask us a few questions. Odds are we'll be happy to answer your questions if you give us a heads up before asking us for details about our sex lives.
20. Listen to women. They may not be telling you things expecting you to fix the problem. They might just want you to listen and show empathy.
Share with friends!