Vending machines even exist for entire Smart Cars!
10. Japan has the worlds oldest company. Kongō Gumi The Worlds oldest company operated from 578 AD until 2006
11. Even though samurai swords are famous in Japanese culture worldwide, there are many laws governing their ownership, including the requirement of a permit.
12. Depending on the area of the country you're in, squat toilets may be most common. Modern areas certainly have the Western-type sitters, but squatters can still be common in older structures and rural areas.
13. The literacy rate (people who can read and write) of Japan is one of the highest in the world, at almost 100%. Many think that Japan’s rigorous education system is the reason behind it. Japan’s unemployment rate is less than 4%.
14. To gesture someone to "come here," don't crook your finger – that's demeaning, maybe how you'd signal to a dog. Instead, motion with the palm down, all fingers hooking inward at once.
15. In many countries, slurping your food, such as a soup, or noodles, is seen as annoying, and you’ll get weird looks. But in Japan, if you slurp, it’s seen as complimentary to the chef, so slurp away if you find yourself enjoying soup in Japan.
16. Japan has the second lowest homicide rate in the world, behind only Iceland. The homicide rate there is .50 per 100,000 people.
17. While slurping your soup is seen as a compliment, there is something commonly done in Western culture that is deeply frowned upon. Can you guess what it is? (Answer on the next page!)