These Japanese men have become socially recluse for a multitude of reasons, including agoraphobia and social anxiety. Thus, creating social and health problems, a condition called "Hikikomori." More recently, researchers have suggested six specific criteria required to "diagnose" hikikomori:
2. Marked and persistent avoidance of social situations,
3. Symptoms interfering significantly with the person's normal routine, occupational (or academic) functioning, or social activities or relationships,
4. Perceiving the withdrawal as ego-syntonic
6. No other mental disorder that accounts for the social withdrawal and avoidance.
48. In Japan, tipping a server is considered rude.
49. People who cannot afford to live in a house in Hong Kong and Japan take advantage of McDonalds' "doors are always open" policy and live in their restaurants. They are known as"McRefugees."
50. "Kodokushi", meaning "lonely death", is a common Japanese phenomenon of people dying alone and remaining undiscovered for a long period of time.