19 Things About Smoking That Everyone Should Be Aware Of.
This article is based on "Smoking Facts: 27 Facts About Smoking". If you're interested in reading more, check out the link at the bottom of the article. Sources for individual points are hyperlinked numbers.
Pretty much every knows that smoking is bad for you, but that doesn't stop millions of people from taking a puff on a daily basis. Beyond a few chemicals and the fact that it causes lung cancer, what do you really know about the cigarettes you're using? Read more to find out.
1. Smoking breaks down elastin, the protein that keeps skin firm and elastic, which can lead to ptosis: saggy breasts.
2. China is home to 1/3 of the world's smokers, meaning there's more smokers in China than there are people in the US.
3. A 2013 study found that smokers are more likely to consider quitting on a Monday.
4. Sigmund Freud smoked upwards of 20 cigarettes per day which led to him developing cancerous tumors in his jaw. Despite undergoing 34 surgeries to remove tumors and fix his jaw, he never quit smoking.
5. Each cigarette cuts, on average, 11 minutes of a smoker's life.
6. Rodrigo de Jerez is thought to be the first European smoker. He observed Natives smoking tobacco in Cuba and brought the habit back to Spain. Seeing smoke expelled from his mouth and nose scared his neighbours so much that he was imprisoned for 7 years.
7. The tobacco industry produces 5.5 trillion cigarettes per year - roughly 700 per person.
8. The notoriously flammable Hindenburg had an air-locked smoking room.
9. Studies have repeatedly shown that marijuana is less harmful than alcohol or tobacco.
10. A smoking cigarette creates more than 7,000 chemicals, 69 of which are known to cause cancer.
11. Hitler launched the first anti-smoking campaign in modern History.
12. Apple has voided warranties on their computer that have been exposed to secondhand smoke because they consider the products contaminated.
13. The 2nd President of the US, John Adams, learned to smoke at age 8.
14. A 2013 study found that smoking makes your hair turn grey faster.
15. Over 50 billion cigarettes are smoked worldwide every day.
16. The risk of heart attack in smokers is 200-400% greater than non-smokers.
17. The claim that cigar and pipe smoking is safer than cigarettes has been disproved. They're just as dangerous.
18. In 2010, 2-year-old Aldi Rizal made international headlines when he was discovered in his Indonesian village smoking 40 cigarettes per day. Public outcry led the Indonesian government to organize special rehabilitation therapy to help him kick the habit.
Share with friends & family!
Breaking up is hard to do.
And when you get the law involved, it's even worse. But sometimes people don't need the law's help to make things overcomplicated, they just have a grand ole time making that happen themselves.
People on the front lines of human cruelty include divorce lawyers. These are their stories.