20 Completely Random Facts You Never Knew You'd Want To Know.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.
- Arthur Conan Doyle
1. Ancient Greeks used to go to the gym naked - the word 'gymnasium' means "school for naked exercise."
2. Researchers have patented a strain of seaweed that tastes like bacon when cooked and contains twice the nutritional value of kale.
3. You're completely blind for about 40 minutes a day. When your eyes move, your brain purposely blocks your vision, which is why you can't see the motion of your eyes in a mirror. It's called Saccidic masking, and without it your life would be like watching a constant movie that's filmed with a shaky, handheld camera.
4. Jay Z, The Notorious B.I.G., Busta Rhymes, and DMX went to the same high school. Once, Jay Z and Busta Rhymes has a rap battle in the lunchroom.
5. Beards can slow the aging process by stopping water from leaving the skin, keeping it moisturized.
6. In Ancient Greece, throwing an apple at someone was used to declare your love to them.
7. The electricity needed to power an iPhone for a year costs only $0.40
8. When watermelons are grilled or baked they lose their granular texture and can even be used as a meat substitute, called a watermelon steak.
9. Hitler had a relative called "Paddy Hitler", who ended up joining the US Navy, where, along with all recruits, he had to fill out a form listing any relatives who might be fighting for the enemy.
10. Rats feel empathy to such a large degree, that they will ignore a lever that releases a tempting chocolate treat in favor of one that saves a drowning friend.
Fact: you can continue to the next page for more interesting facts.
11. Japan now has a retirement home for senior dogs, so they can get adequate love and care during their final years.
12. Hearing someone call your name when no one has actually called your name is a sign of a healthy mind.
13. There is a bra designed to turn into 2 gas masks in case of emergency.
14. People who walk fast tend to live longer than the average walker.
15. Over 60 percent of Chinese consumers say that they are willing to pay more for products that say "Made in the USA", rather than "Made in China."
16. Wanna freak out? Go to Google maps, type 47.110579 9.227568, click green arrow, select more, go to street view. Go up two and left twice.
17. Squirrels used to be a very rare sighting outside of forests. The reason they exist in parks today is because, in the 19th century, Americans filled their parks with squirrels for entertainment purposes.
18. The first man to survive going over Niagara Falls later died by slipping on an orange peel.
19. If you mouth the word "colorful" to someone, it looks like you are saying "I love you."
20. If ants encounter a drunk comrade, they will carry them home to sleep it off.
Continue to the next page for 10 bonus facts ...because we love you that much.
21. One of the only activities that can activate, stimulate and use the entire brain is music.
22. During the 18th Century, you could pay your admission to the zoo in London by bringing in a dog or cat to feed the lions.
23. The reason why the wedding ring is placed on the fourth finger of your left hand is because it's the only finger that has a vein connecting directly to your heart.
24. Socks are among the most needed items at homeless shelters, yet the least-often donated.
25. A person with damage to the right brain hemisphere can develop a "joke addiction" - a compulsive need to constantly make and tell jokes.
26. Baby elephants will suck on their trunks for comfort, just like a human baby sucks it's thumb.
27. A Russian mathematician solved a 100 year old math problem. He declined the Fields medal, $1 million in awards, because he hated the recognition the math community gives to people who prove things.
28. The U.S military buys a fart spray called "Liquid ASS" in bulk and uses it to prepare emergency medics for the stench in a battlefield.
29. Surgeons who play video games make 37% fewer errors and complete surgery 27% faster.
30. City birds have learned to line their nests with cigarette butts in order to ward off parasites, as burnt nicotine works as an insecticide for mites, lice, and fleas.
You can share this article using the button below.
Whoops. That snip was just a hair too far....
Your first bad haircut probably made you want to die a little when you looked in the mirror. Imagine how the person cutting your hair must have felt. Although, maybe they didn't care at all, as evidenced by the bs excuse they gave you when you finished in the barber chair.