38 Astounding Things You Probably Didn't Know About Women.
This article is based on "Women Facts: 52 Facts About Women". If you're interested in reading more, check out the link at the bottom of the article. Sources for individual points are hyperlinked numbers.
Almost half the human population is female but what do we really know about the differences between men and women? Read below to find out more!
1. Women live longer than men, partly because their immune systems age more slowly.
2. 19 of the 20 richest women in the world inherited their wealth from their husband or their father.
3. Women spend approximately 9 years (or 3500 days) of their lives menstruating.
4. Research has found that women are more prone to nightmares than men and have more emotional dreams.
5. Jamaica, Colombia, and St. Lucia are the only countries where a woman is more likely to be a boss than a man.
6. In the 1920s and early 1930s, most screenwriters in Hollywood were women.
7. 30% of businesses in the US are owned by women.
8. 20% of women in the US earn at least $5,000 more than their male spouse.
9. Every 90 seconds a woman dies during pregnancy or childbirth.
10. 80% of women are wearing the wrong size bra.
11. Women speak about 20,000 words a day - 13,000 more than the average man.
12. In Ancient Rome, women wore the sweat of gladiators to improve their complexion.
13. There are 9 million more women than men in Russia.
14. 40% of births in the US come from unmarried women.
15. Women spend nearly one year of their lives deciding what to wear.
16. Men lie 6 times a day, twice as often as women.
17. The youngest girl to ever be divorced is 10-year-old Nujood Ali.
18. In the 1600s men wore heels as a sign of aristocracy. Women started wearing them afterwards to appear more masculine.
19. Israel is the only country in the world to draft women into military service.
20. Heart attacks in women present as nausea, indigestion, and shoulder aches instead of traditional chest pains.
21. 4% of women in the US are pregnant right now.
22. The women who underwent the world's first successful womb transplant became pregnant in 2013.
23. The average women in the UK changes her hairstyle 150 times in her lifetime.
24. According to a recent study, women who snore during pregnancy are more likely to have smaller babies.
25. 2% of women have a genetic mutation resulting in an extra retina cone in their eyes, allowing them to see 99 million more colours than the average person.
26. An average woman in the UK will own 111 handbags in her lifetime.
27. 30% of pregnant women develop pica, an eating disorder characterized by an appetite for nonfood items.
28. Women can get pregnant 5 to 8 days after having sex.
29. 68% of women say they would have an affair if they knew they could get away with it.
30. Women weren't allowed to participate in the Olympic Games until 1900.
31. The leading cause of death for American women is heart disease.
32. 1 in every 6 women has been a victim of sexual assault in the US.
33. 2% of women worldwide would describe themselves as beautiful.
34. Women in Niger have an average of 7 children, the highest rate in the world.
35. In China, women who remain unmarried in their late 20s and 30s are called "sheng nu" which means "leftover women".
36. Miami is the only major US city founded by a woman.
37. In middle school, 74% of girls express an interest in STEM fields (science, technology, engineering, and math). By the time they declare a college major, just 0.4% of them select computer science.
38. The most children born to a mother is 69. She birthed 16 pairs of twins, seven sets of triplets, and four sets of quadruplets.
Racism is an insidious, and unfortunately prevalent, force in all of our daily lives. Maybe we're on the receiving end of it, being treated differently and losing opportunities because of others' preconceived notions.
Or maybe we're on the other side of things. Even those who aren't actively racist or discriminatory still have to process the world through the filters of the things they've been told about people who are different.