Embarrassed People Share 'Common Knowledge' Facts That They Learned WAY Too Late.
Certain facts manage to slip by us. For instance, did you know that the "X" in a railroad sign is short for "crossing"? We sure didn't. But let's not be ashamed, let's celebrate and learn new things every day. POSITIVITY!!!!
Here are 36 pieces of "common knowledge" that people learned later in life.
You can check out more answers from the source at the end of this article. The responses were collected into a master list. Check out the thread to find the original authors! Thanks to everyone who responded.
1. Ponies are not baby horses.
2. Narwhals are not mythical creatures.
3. Henry Ford did not invent the auto or assembly line, he did improve the assembly line process.
4. Pickles start out as cucumbers.
5. Green olives and black olives are from the same tree. Green olives are just picked earlier.
6. Raisins start out as grapes.
7. Prunes start out as plums.
8. Peanuts are not nuts, they are legumes.
9. Cashews grow on a fruit.
10. Chipotles start out as jalapenos.
11. Broccoli is plural for broccolo.
12. Jam and jelly are two different things.
13. Red peppers are mature versions of green peppers.
14. Chicken fried steak isn't chicken.
15. Vegetarians shouldn't eat jello or marshmallows.
16. Bananas open easily from the bottom rather than top.
17. The bananas we eat are genetically modified to have no seeds.
18. Tomatoes are a fruit in a botanical sense, but a vegetable in the agricultural sense for taxation purposes.
19. Pineapples grow from a bush and not a tree.
20. Sushi doesnt mean raw fish, rather sour rice referring to the vinegared rice.
21. The smirk in the Amazon logo points from A to Z.
22. There is an arrow between the E and X in Fedex.
23. Arby's is meant to stand for R.B.'s or Roast Beef.
24. Chipmunks are not baby squirrels.
25. Chuck Norris sings the theme to Walker Texas Ranger.
26. All pictures from Hubble Telescope are in black and white, color added later.
27. Kelsey Grammer is Sideshow Bob from Simpsons.
28. Water towers are for regulating pressure, not water storage.
29. Herbs are from leaves, spices from seeds/bark/roots/flowers.
30. Penguins don't live in the Arctic.
31. Polar bears don't live in the Antarctic.
32. Pumas, cougar, and mountain lion are the same animal.
33. Daddy longlegs are not spiders.
34. Loofahs are the skeletal form of a vegetable.
35. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Baa Baa Black Sheep, and The Alphabet Song are the same song.
36. X in railroad signs (Xing) is short for cross.
Thumbnail Photo Credit: nelen / Shutterstock.com
When you're a kid most adults will tell you one thing or another is "cool" and "fun." Odds are you're too young to form any kind of opinion on the matter one way or another. You're a kid, right? You don't know what you're eating for breakfast. However, when you get older and form that larger worldview, you realize that yeah, maybe that one time when you were a kid actually wasn't fun.
These are those stories.