Grateful People Share The Luckiest Thing That Has Ever Happened To Them.

Luck takes on many forms. Perhaps you found a five-dollar bill on the ground. Perhaps you ended up marrying the person you happened to sit beside on the subway that one fateful day.

Whether luck comes to us in big forms or small, it is always a welcome surprise. Here, 27 grateful people share the luckiest thing that has ever happened to them.

1/27. A while back, I was unemployed, broke, and job searching like crazy. I had applied to at least 30+ places and had some interviews over the course of 5 months, but remained jobless.

One night, I decided to walk to the local pizza place to get dinner for my fiancee and I. Well, on the walk back, I noticed a baby bird laying in the middle of the road. I stopped, stared at it for a moment before picking it up and setting it under a nearby bush.

Next day, I receive a call from one of the places I had recently interviewed at, asking if I could come fill in some paperwork. Sure, yeah, absolutely! Well, it turns out, the hiring manager was with her girlfriend at a bar, having a drink on the patio and happened to see me save the bird. Earlier in the day, she had been going through all of the potential applicants and after seeing that, decided to hire me right then.

It's been a little over a year now, I no longer have my fiancee, but I still have the same job and I recently got promoted to Shift Leader - not only that, but the manager and I have become fairly good friends and she's helped me out in my personal life a lot as well. I couldn't have asked for anything better.


2/27. I was at a mall and heard a woman scream from the upper level. I turned around, looked up....and reflexively caught a toddler who had somehow managed to squeeze between the iron safety rails and fallen literally on top of me, a good 20-25 feet below. Perfect catch, not a scratch. I've replayed this in my head dozens of time and still to this day do not know how the hell I did this.


3/27. I was in a foreign airport, running late, and just missed the train - the sliding door slammed on my foot. Had to wait 10 minutes for the next one. Got chatting to a girl. Now married for 6 years.


4/27. I called a beer company's question & comment line in hopes of getting a free shirt, they gave me an all expense paid trip to Las Vegas for me and 3 of my friends.


5/27. We discovered how sick my wife was before losing both her and my unborn son. Thankfully they pulled him out in an emergency C-section and he just celebrated his 7th birthday. Mom is doing fantastic now as well, double organ recipient!


Continue reading on the next page!

6/27. Choosing a seat in my sophomore year of high school - next to the gal who ended up becoming my wife after we fell in love with each other over the years.


7/27. Got laid off two days before Christmas. I had $10 in my bank account, so I said screw it & bought a six pack and a $1 scratch-off. Won $1200.


8/27. I had my car stolen when I was 19. A few months later I was driving my new car from Seattle to Portland at 3am, no other traffic around, and my stolen car passed me on my left. I followed the guy for about 120 miles back to Portland. At one point he pulled beside me and waved at me, thinking we were road-rally pals! I returned a death stare. Followed him home, called the cops and got my car back.


9/27. After debating because of how much it cost, I ordered a PS3 online. I ended up receiving 3 PS3's. I was expecting to get struck by lightning for a week after that.


10/27. I don't know how lucky it is, but the odds of this must be astronomical; When I was about 7, I was walking in a field and out of nowhere a snake just landed on my neck. I freaked the heck out and ripped it off, and looked around to see who did it. But it was a large field and there was no place for people to hide.

I ended up finding the snake, and brought it home and it lived with me for a good four years until it slithered away, and I never saw it again.


Continue reading on the next page!

11/27. I once opened a pack of Gushers that had twelve in one pack. They usually only have around five or six. That was a wonderful day.


12/27. I survived what should have been a fatal car crash. Before that day I never wore my seatbelt. Yes I was an idiot. I left work that day for some reason just out of nowhere, I decided to put it on. 10 minutes later, somebody blew a stop sign from a side street and I T-boned them going about 45-50 mph. It felt like I hit a brick wall. The car was totalled and I most likely would not have lived had I not put my seat belt on.


13/27. In my freshman year of college, my roommate went to dinner 20 minutes before I did. Because of this, he was sitting alone. Because he was sitting alone, he got invited by a girl to sit with her table. When I came along, I was also invited to sit with them.

This group later introduced me to the love of my life, who i never would have had any reason to meet otherwise. All because my roommate left for dinner early.


14/27. Somebody knocked a glass bottle of Snapple off the shelf and I had to go clean it up. I looked at the cap and it was a winner from their prize event. It was for a $500 gift card.


15/27. My parents said for years that they would go on their dream trip to Alaska when my mom retired. She is still several years from retiring, but last December, my dad told her that they should go ahead and do it, so they started making plans for this past summer.

In March or so, I jokingly said that they should stick me in their bags and let me come with them. A couple weeks later, they asked if I was really serious about wanting to go, and would my husband like to go as well? They said they would help us pay for it as an anniversary gift, if we were OK with helping with my dad and carrying luggage and whatnot - he was in a wheelchair. Of course! (continued)

Continue reading on the next page!

Fast-forward to the summer, and we had nine amazing days in Alaska with my parents. They live three states away, and we only got to see them for the occasional four-day weekend every few months, so getting to spend that much time with them was amazing.

We saw moose and bears and caribou, going on dog sled rides, and going out on boats to ride the rapids or look for whales. On Father's Day morning, after he talked to my brother and his grandkids on video chat, we all went out on a whale-watching trip. It was perfect - even the guides on the boat said it was the most amazing trip they had ever seen. He got to see nine humpback whales jump out of the water together as they caught fish in a net of bubbles. He got to see four killer whales, and one of them even breached the water in an awesome jump that is rare in the wild. And he got it all on a perfect, sunny day, not a cloud in the sky to cover the mountains and glaciers all around us. On the way back, he and my mom said that this was what they had come to Alaska to see, and that they couldnt have asked for a more amazing trip.

An hour later, my dad had a cardiac event that he wouldn't wake up from. I miss him every day, but I am so incredibly lucky that I got to spend that much time with him right before he left us, and that my dad got pretty much the perfect last week of his life, surrounded by people he loved. Not many people get that.


16/27. When I was about 4, I had an illness (HSP). It started off with some rashes, and then my kidneys shut down. So, you see, when your kidneys shut down, your body can't regulate your water retention and you end up retaining ALL the water. So my legs swelled up with water and I couldn't walk. My mom took me to my pediatrician who told my mom I had sprained my ankles which was why I couldn't walk.

She believed him and brought me home. The lucky part is when my dad, who has a doctorate in Biology, came home, took one look at me and said,"She's going into shock." I would've died then if my dad wasn't smart enough to figure out what was wrong.


17/27. I managed to survive a shipwreck miles off the coast of Mexico and managing to get back to the states after losing all of my papers. When I was 14.


18/27. When I was around 3 or 4, my mom was with me by the pool in our backyard. She was cleaning the patio nearby with a hose, I was just chilling out being a toddler.

Anyway, she had her back turned to me for a few moments, and when she turned around again I was nowhere in sight. Turns out I decided to crawl in to the pool.

She jumped in and I was already at the bottom, apparently with a big smile on my face. (Don't know why, I hadn't the slightest idea how to swim).

When she pulled me out I was giggling with joy, she didn't find it as funny apparently.


19/27. I got into a good school, and was able to live my own life and not have to rely on my mom for financial support. At first, I was happy to leave because my mom sometimes was overwhelmed by the fact that she was a single mom and did stuff she shouldn't have, but she has always wanted us to have a better life than herself, and I'm really happy that although my life is unconventional, I am indeed happy.


20/27. I had just turned 30, some failed relationships behind me, as we all have, including a cheating fiancee. Anyway, I went out for breakfast with my Mother one morning, to one of our favourite restaurants. We sat down, and then I heard someone calling my name from the next booth over. I look over and see a friend of mine, and with her is a beautiful woman, blond hair, blue eyes, exactly my type. (continued)

Continue reading on the next page!

I would love to be able to say I was perfectly suave and swept her off her feet, however, nerves got the better of me, and I stammered hello, mumbled some inane small talk, and even shook her hand at the end of the conversation, and went back to my breakfast, feeling like a total buffoon.

As I sat there thinking that I had to do something to redeem myself, I managed to catch the eye of my friend who was with her, and mouthed "Is she single???" She got a little smirk on her face, and subtly nodded yes. I just about had a heart attack. At this point I think she lost patience, and indicated she would send me this blond beauties email address, after she found out if it was okay to do so from her friend. Little did I know that at the same time I was prodding for info, the blond girl (whose name was Heather I had finally remembered) was asking for details about me.

Breakfast ended, and I said goodbye to the two of them, and went home. 2 hours later, email address in hand, I sent off my "Hello!" message to Heather, and immediately got a response. Our first date was a week later.

And now, 7 years later, we are coming up on our 5th wedding anniversary, and we have a beautiful, sweet little girl who is the spitting image of her Mother. Heather carried me through some terrible times when I was the primary caregiver for my mother, who died of cancer after a 2 year struggle. I don't know how I would have survived changing my Mom's diapers, changing catheters, all the horrid events that come with home care of a terminal cancer patient, without the constant love and support of this amazing woman. The fact she stayed with me during this time, even though we had just started dating when my mother's diagnosis was discovered, amazes me, and still brings me to tears.

I love my wife, and thank goodness I decided to take a day off work and go for breakfast with my Mother. Luckiest day of my life.


21/27. Two years ago I was working as an Airman at a Blue Angels show when one of them approached me to let him into the debrief vault. He thanked me and asked if he could do anything for me probably thinking I would ask for a patch or picture. But I jokingly said to him he could take me up on the next flight, he laughed and said he would get back to me.. Thinking that was the end of it, I bumped into the Major an hour later and asked if I was ready for the ride of my life!? I was pretty shocked but just like that at the end of the day me and two other guys got to ride shotgun in the Blue Angels F-18s! Best example of right place and right time. I


22/27. I broke my back and was told I'd have a 3% chance to walk again. I'm still walking.


23/27. I was about 9 or 10, and my brother and I had this nice tucked away beach all to ourselves in Santa Cruz, it was about a 100yd stretch of beach with rocks closing it in, very cozy.

Anyway, he was taking a nap and I got in a bit over my head going out to the 7ft breakers.

I messed up and took a wave the wrong way, pounded against the sea floor a bit and swallowed a bunch of water. When the wave subsided I was too out of it / weak to fight the riptide, and I floated out again just to get pounded by another wave.

Brother somehow woke up, came out, grabbed me, and swam me back in. He is a lifeguard, so I was fortunate to have that on my side.

I had swallowed too much water to yell, so I don't know how he woke up. But I would have definitely died.

He probably hasn't thought twice about it, but I definitely remember it every time I am close to the ocean.


24/27. When I was 17, my mother was diagnosed with Hepatitis C. She had to go through a particularly hellacious "combo" treatment of 11 months of Interferon/Ribavirin (self-injections and multiple pills/daily). The medicine left her very weak, despondent, sick with flu-like symptoms like clockwork after the injection, etc. It was rough to see her that way, but I was mostly away at school at the time. She decided to keep her full-time job and persevered through the treatment, eventually becoming "virus-free" (zero count). In retrospect it's absolutely amazing the amount of strength and courage she had to brave it alone.

About a year later (the summer before my junior year in college), I was getting some routine blood work done when they noticed some levels were a bit off. (continued)

Continue reading on the next page!

I went in for a liver biopsy and they confirmed that I had stage 1 scarring of my liver, and tested positive for the virus as well. This was despite my GP (at the time) telling us that there was a less than 10% chance of her passing on the disease to me through birth. The good news was that my viral count was relatively low (~250K IIRC) because they caught it at an early age. Unfortunately I also had to go through the treatment, avoid alcohol, and worst of all - the medicine only had a 50% chance success rate for type A.

I became a bit of a recluse my junior year in school, struggled through two semesters of full course loads (though it did inspire some of my art), and eventually came out the other side virus-free. I've been in remission now for over 8 years. There is always a chance it could reoccur, but to this day I consider this the most luckiest thing that's ever happened to me. Left undetected and untreated, the health complications would have been far more grave later in my life.


25/27. Two years ago I worked an 18 hour shift without eating. When I finally left I went to the grocery store across the street. Asked bakery girl for bread for sandwich, she makes me entire sandwich herself instead. Best ever. Marrying her in two weeks.

Never would have met her without that long day.


26/27. About 20 years ago, I was in the car with my girlfriend and we were driving around town. As she takes a turn she hits the gas a little too much and the back end starts to fishtail on some sand. Not a big deal if she stays calm.

She didn't.

Instead of letting off the gas and maybe hitting the brakes, she slams the accelerator. The back end of the car has now slid 90 degrees and we are perpendicular to the road. The tires finally grab pavement. We go screaming towards a fence and go blasting through the fence, into someone's yard, and straight for a house. At the last second, she has the presence of mind to cut the wheel. My side of the car bounces off of the side of the house.

At this point she still has the accelerator pegged.

We then go blasting though a picnic table smashing it in half. Just when I think it can't get any worse, we are headed straight for a metal jungle gym...and there is an errant pipe coming straight at me. I was pretty sure my last thoughts were going to be, "Shoot! My head is going to end up in Tommy's lap" (my buddy sitting behind me).

I see the pipe coming at the windshield and through some stroke of luck, the pipe bounced off of the windshield and went over the car as we pull the jungle gym out of the ground. Still dragging the jungle gym with us, we go through a stockade fence, end up back on the street, and finally stop as part of what I believe to be the engine, ended up on the ground.

The fact that I survived that without a scratch (actually, none of us were hurt) is probably one of my top 5 luckiest moments.


27/27. My brother was diagnosed with a sarcoma cancer at age 17 right before his 18th birthday in a period of about a month of even discovering it (a skin discolouration on his elbow). He was given maximum 2 years to live and was told he had 2 weeks until he had to lose his arm that had the cancer.

We were told the cancer was really rare and at his age he was in the 1 in 2000 people with this cancer. There was no guarantee due to the aggressive nature of his cancer that he would not lose his other arm also.

My brother refused and said he didn't want to go out like that and would rather die catching a big wave out in the ocean (he's a surfer). Upon hearing this news my brother ran out of the room and in front of trucks right near the hospital. I ran after him and grabbed him and stopped him from trying to end himself.

I said to wait until he heard further news and he agreed that may be for the best. The next 10 days were long and my brother still hadn't made a booking to lose his arm, he slept for 16 hours and I screened most of the phone calls to the house.

One phone call in particular I answered and actually woke my brother up to have the phone. This call was what I feel makes myself and my brother so lucky. It was a doctor from California (we live in Australia) who also received a sample of my brothers tumour and were not allowed to contact the Sydney office at all as it would affect their analysis of the sample.

Their findings were that my brother was going to be okay. They said he has the RAREST CANCER IN THE WORLD and he is one of seven people with that form of sarcoma cancer. Six of the people with the cancer had it somewhere in there torso area and they all survived.

It went from initially receiving chemo and becoming an amputee to having 70 sessions of radiotherapy on my brother's arm. With now the biggest risk that his arm may develop Elephantiasis and best result he would lose 25% of movement with his arm.

Fast forward the story (7 years on) and my brother now has a 4-year-old daughter, own's his own business, is engaged and has lost about 15% movement in his arm.



"It wasn't me!"

There's not much you can do when the righteous fist of the law comes down on you. Call it a mix-up, or call it a mistake, if someone's pegged you at the scene of a crime there's not much you can do but trust the justice system to prove you innocent. However, that's a gamble, and just because you've been given a "not guilty" doesn't mean the effects won't follow you for the rest of your life.

Reddit user, u/danbrownskin, wanted to hear about the times when it wasn't you, seriously, it was someone else, when they asked:

Redditors who were once considered suspect of a crime they did not commit, what's it like being held under suspicion and how did it affect your life?

Keep reading... Show less