People Share The Best Life Lessons They've Learned From Fictional Characters.
There are a lot of things to be learned from literature and film. Just because a character or situation is fictional, it doesn't you can't learn something about life.
Here are people sharing their favorite life lessons from fictional characters.
Many thanks to the Redditors who responded. You can check out more answers from the source at the end of this article.
1. "Once my TV didn't work so I kicked it. And it started working again." - Deadpool. It's actually a very deep lesson if you think about it.
2. "I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes
When I was younger, I had a bad habit of assuming the worst: a group of people were laughing? They must be laughing at me. I was called to the principals office / office at work? I must be in trouble. Then I read that phrase, and it changed how I interacted with the world. Now I don't assume: I wait, gather data, and make a theory based on that data. It's also helped immeasurably in my job (software engineer).
3. "One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" was his response.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter.""
-- Alice in Wonderland
4. If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
5. "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?
6. Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you. - Tyrion Lannister
7. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"
"That is the only time a man can be brave."
Bran & Ned. from GoT
8. "I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do." - Atticus Finch
9. "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it." - Atticus Finch
10. "Perfection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. There are reasons each of us are born. We have to find those reasons." - Uncle Iroh
11. "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us"
-Gandalf the Grey
12. "Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends."
13. Dorothy: "How can you talk if you havent got a brain?"
Scarecrow: "I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?"
14. "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
- Ferris Bueller
15. Vincent: you want to know how I did it, Anton; I never saved anything for the swim back. - Gattaca
16. Mrs Marsh: Stanley, you know youre the most important thing to me, right?
Stan: If thats true then get back together with Dad for me.
Mrs. Marsh: Now Stanley, you have to understand how divorce works. When I say youre the most important thing to me, what I mean is youre the most important thing after me and my happiness and my new romances.
Really hit home the responsibility inherent in marriage and having kids. From South Park of all places.
17. "Which is better: To be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" -- Parthurnaax, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
18. "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
19. "You tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." - Homer Simpson. And I follow that advice to this day.
20. Bart: This is the worst day of my life.
Homer: The worst day of your life.. so far!
That's always been my personal favorite Homer quote.
21. "It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy... Let's go exploring!"
-Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes.
22. "Dude, sucking at something is the first step to being kind of good at something." - Jake the Dog
23. "If you're good at something, never do it for free."
- The joker (Dark Knight)
24. "And that's why you always leave a note!"
J. Walter Weatherman, Arrested Development
25. Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be. -Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game.
26. "The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things, and make them unimportant."
-The Doctor, "Vincent and the Doctor"
Probably one of the best episodes ever made.
27. You must never give into despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength. - Uncle Iroh
28. "Never ask someone else to do something you're not willing to do yourself." I actually try to follow this rule, especially at work.
29. I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are. -Mewtwo Gosh I love pokemon....
30. "Oh yes, the past can hurt. But from the way I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it." Rafiki
31. Things you own end up owning you. - Fight Club
32. When life gives you lemons, dont make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I dont want your lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see lifes manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am?
Im the man whos gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! Im gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!
33. "Youth can not know how age thinks and feels, but the old are guilty when they forget what it is to be young." - Dumbledore
34. "Get busy living, or get busy dying." ~ Andy Dufresne
35. Whatever happens, happens. You're Gonna Carry That Weight. - Cowboy Bebop
36. "If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain."
37. "While it is always best to believe in ones self, a little help from others can be a great blessing." - Iroh
38. I don't know if it counts because its technically not a character. Tetris- Accomplishments go away but failures add up
39. "Any one can make an error, Ensign. But that error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it."
"One can concentrate so closely on the words of a sentence that one thereby misses the meaning. As can happen in any area of life. You must never lose focus on the larger landscape."
Both from Grand Admiral Thrawn, the greatest mind in the Star Wars Universe.
40. "Bros before hos. Why? Because your bros are always there for you. They have got your back after your ho rips your heart out for no good reason...
And you are nothing but great to your ho, and you told her that she was the only ho for you, and that she was better than all the other hos in the world. And then... Then suddenly she's not your ho no mo'!" -Michael Scott
41. Samwise From the Lord of The Rings saying how there is still something worth fighting for in this world. Always makes me feel better and gives me hope for the world.
42. Katara: Are you calling me a liar?
Sokka: No, I'm calling you an optimist. Pretty much the same thing.
Unwarranted and unrealistic optimism is no better than lying, in my opinion.
43. "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
Very generic, I know, but it correctly sums up how I feel about the way I'd like to live my life.
44. Q: I've always tried to teach you two things. First, never let them see you bleed.
James Bond: And the second?
Q: Always have an escape plan.
45. Really, there are a ton of them from the Lazurus Long character, but the following quote stuck with me:
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein
46. "In an infinite universe anything is possible" - Ford Prefect, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Breaking up is hard to do.
And when you get the law involved, it's even worse. But sometimes people don't need the law's help to make things overcomplicated, they just have a grand ole time making that happen themselves.
People on the front lines of human cruelty include divorce lawyers. These are their stories.