If you're short on ideas for how to get your friends and family on April 1st, here are some ideas for your April fools pranks!
Many thanks to all the Redditors who responded. Check out more answers from the source at the end of this article!
1. Put notes on people's cars telling them "sorry about the damage". They will spend forever looking for it.
2. I did this one last year. I work at a restaurant. We have these spray bottles with a light pink solution we use to clean tables and such. I went and grabbed a brand new one and filled it with watered down pink lemonade.
I would be cleaning near my co workers , while chatting with them and nonchalantly unscrew the top spray/ trigger piece and just started downing it like I was dying of thirst.
The look of horror on some of their faces was priceless.
3. Replace their Purell with Lube. Watch them rub their hands together forever. The lube washes off harmlessly, the shame never will.
4. Bring a box of creme-filled donuts to work. Regular creme-filled donuts. Put a note on the box that says "Happy April 1!" Watch everyone get paranoid about what you didn't actually do to the donuts.
5. If your parents or a friend have a cat, and you have access to their house, starting about a week prior to April 1st, sneak in daily and clean the litter box. After a few days they'll start to think their cat must be constipated. Then on the night of the 31st, sneak in and take a poop in the litter box yourself.
6. If they use Google Chrome, install the extension "nCage It". It changes EVERY image (including google logo, thumbnails, etc.) into randomly generated pics/gifs of Nicholas Cage.
The best part?
There is an option to hide the extension from the task bar. They would actually have to go into their internet options and find it under the "extensions" tab just to turn it off. It's great.
7. Put dry macaroni under the toilet seat, so it'll sound like the toilet breaks when someone sits on it.
8. We put googly eyes on everything in the fridge to shock the kids in the morning. We thought it was freakin hilarious and were totally impressed with our cleverness. Our kids were not impressed in the slightest. Not sure they even noticed.... Next year, we made them cereal and milk with a spoon in the bowl and put it in the freezer overnight. When we gave them breakfast, one burst into tears and the other threw it on the floor. Our kids can't hang :(
9. So what I did to my brother last year is this.
Put a sign that says "gullible" on the ceiling. Take a picture of it. Take the sign down.
Our conversation went like this:
Me: "It says gullible on the ceiling." Brother: "No it doesn't, I'm not a idiot" Me: "fine if you won't look then I'll take a picture of it for you" (pretend to take picture and show them the picture you took earlier) Brother: "I guess it really does" (looks up) "**** you"
I love screwing with him.
10. Leave a note for a family member, roommate, or coworker to call back a Mr. Lyon with a number for the local zoo.
11. I did this a few times at my last job and it was hilarious. If a co-worker walks away from their computer and leaves it unlocked go into the mouse settings and change the primary cursor icon to the loading icon so it always looks like the computer is thinking. I had one co-worker sit for 10 minutes mad at his computer because it was taking forever, I finally couldn't stop laughing and told him what was up.
12. I got my husband with a really stupid/punny one a few years back. I put a leek (like the vegetable) in the bathroom. He came home, I pretended to be freaking out yelling that there was a leak/leek in the bathroom, and how he needed to get in there and take care of it. He went running through the house panicked just to find the leek. I thought it was moderately amusing, although a really really dumb joke.
13. Last year I worked in a larger law firm with many attorneys. For April Fool's, someone took one thing from each office and switched it with something from another.
It was primarily their degrees or family pics, but one person's Reagan pic was swapped with Ruth Bader Ginsburg. The managing attorney's chair was replaced with a wheelchair.
14. Here's what I've got planned: Got the IT guy to give me a broken keyboard. I'm going to take a bunch of chia seeds, plaster them underneath the keys, spend a few days watering it, and then switch it for my coworker's keyboard that morning.
15. I saw this somewhere else, but: create an audio file that is 8 minutes of silence and then 15 seconds of sex noises from porn; set that as various system sounds on their device.
16. Pulled this on my wife two years ago. I logged into her Facebook and changed her birthday to April 1st.
Wishes came flooding in.
17. Saw this somewhere, change the usb insertion sound to a woman moaning, then when you take it out make it, go "OOOHHH PUT IT BACK IN" saw this somewhere, Still don't remember where.
18. Take off the lid to the shower drain. Shove in a large plastic bag with some chocolate milk powder mix in it. Secure the bag with the drain cover and cut off any excess bits of plastic.
Wait for sounds of disgust as brown water starts coming up from the drain while they're showering. Almost got disowned for this one.
19. Put out a bowl filled with M&Ms, Skittles, and Reese's Pieces.
20. Step 1: Find a business that replaces car windshields.
Step 2: Ask them if they would be willing to give you a bag of broken auto glass (most people will give you a strange look, but oblige.)
Step 3: Scribble an angry note on a piece of paper, tape it to a fist-sized rock.
Step 4: Gain access to your friend/family member's vehicle, roll the window down, scatter the broken auto glass you acquired, and place the rock with attached note.
Step 5: Make sure the other windows are rolled-up, and the doors are locked when you leave the scene of the "crime."
Step 6: Enjoy the panic that ensues.
I did this to my step-brother a few years ago. A few days later, he was on his way to his insurance office to see if they'd cover it when it started to rain. He instinctively tried to roll up his window, and to his surprise -- the in-tact window rolled up just fine.
21. Depends on how your plumbing is set up, my friends and I went into another friend's house, unscrewed the head of the shower in the bathroom, and filled it up with a packet of red Kool-Aid, then screwed it back on.
To the same house, we turned off the ceiling fan and then we had one of my taller friends line the top of the ceiling fan blades in the living room with rice krispies from their kitchen.
22. Work place- every year I always put clear tape under the optical mouse- I work in a call center. :) Every year, it works like a charm.
Departments have personalities- it shows up on that prank.
Sales- They freak out and tell any one who will listen and whine all day about it. One year, it took them 3 hours to figure it out. Finally one person went and asked IT for help.
IT- They chuckle, then get back to work.
Management- Freak out, grabs IT, resolved. Then they are paranoid the rest of the day while nervously laughing as though they found it funny.
23. I like to tell people it's my birthday, and they always say "Hahaha, yeah right. Good one."
And then I cry inside a little, because April 1 really is my birthday.
24. Create scheduled tasks on their computer to play an annoying song, at an annoying time.
We did this to a co-worker. Every day, 1:15, his computer would start to play Nickleback. 3:45, Taylor Swift.
More pranks on the next page!
25. There is a Chrome extension that will allow you to redirect any page. Set it to redirect Google to Bing.
26. Paint all the bars of soap with clear nail polish.
27. Move every piece of furniture 2 inches to the right. Subtle but sweet.
28. I'm moving into my new house on April 1st, so I can throw a huge party and invite a ton of people- to the old place.
29. April 1st is a Saturday, so this is a wonderful year because if they work a Monday-Friday job you don't have to worry about them being late to work. If you have a copy of their car keys, then the night before you get into their car, tape cardboard inside all the windows leaving a gap between the glass and the cardboard. Fill the space with packing peanuts. When they walk out to their car, it will look like you filled it with packing peanuts, but it is easier to do and easier to clean up than ACTUALLY filling it with packing peanuts, so they hopefully won't kill you for it.
30. My favorite I did is to zip tie the cabinets and fridge shut. Then when they go to get the scissors, they find it they are zip tied shut too. Make sure to have an extra pair... I forgot to do that last year and had to buy another one...
31. I left a note for my male secretary to call Myra Mains with the number to the morgue. My secretary was a retired nuclear weapon expert and super serious.
He called, they laughed, he argued it was not a joke. I couldn't stop laughing so he proceeded to choke me with both hands. Best joke ever.
32. Get Tupperware and fill it with water. Tell the victim you're going to show them a magic trick. Hold the container up to the ceiling and have them support it with a broom handle. Once the broom is supporting it, walk away.
33. Read this somewhere and thought it was the best prank ever. Buy all possible sizes of a type of candy bar, from super mini up to specialty giant sizes.
The prank was done on a coworker's desk- every time coworker got up, prankster would put one on his keyboard.
Starting from smallest on up. I guess you could do it at home by hiding or placing them in an often-visited spot.
I just thought it was really nice.
34. Open up the spray option on your kitchen sink, aim at face. Gets the wife every year.
Protip: don't forget you did it the night before: I get myself every year as well.
35. "Mom, I think my girlfriends pregnant."
36. Take screenshot of desktop.
Remove all icons on desktop.
Close all applications.
Set taskbar to "auto-hide".
Set screenshot as wallpaper.
Result: computer looks just as they left it, but when they try to do anything, it doesn't work.
37. Get a group of friends together and start texting a specific person with everything in 'quotes.' Don't say any about, don't even acknowledge it. Then the next day suddenly stop.
38. If anyone has one of those hoses attached to their kitchen sink, aim it where someone would be if they turned the faucet on. Then wrap a rubber band around the handle so that it's on. When someone goes to turn on the sink, they'll get sprayed with water.
Those of us who live in New York live this truth on a daily basis.
Sometimes, you just meet a person who isn't quite all there. It's hard to tell at first, but then you talk with them for a little while and it just becomes abundantly clear if they're two eggs short of an omelette.
The stories of how you find out are so interesting. But yet, they teach us to look for clues when we interact with others.