Spooky Stories Of The World's Creepiest Unsolved Mysteries.

At the end of most spooky stories, we never know the whole truth. However many answers we uncover, there's always room for doubt and disquiet. But in these cases, we will probably never uncover any answers at all. 

Warning: these stories contain creepy and disturbing content.

Santiago Lopez was working maintenance at the second-rate Cecil Hotel in Los Angeles. He had been receiving complaints from guests about the color and taste of the tap water water, so on February 19 2013, Lopez made his way to the roof to check on the water tank. To his shock, when he opened it up, he discovered human remains floating inside.

The body was that of 21-year-old Canadian student Elisa Lam, last seen while she was staying at the hotel more than two weeks earlier. The coroner ruled that Elisa had died of accidental drowning, but the analysis found no alcohol or drugs in her system. There was no ready explanation of how a guest wound up in the hotel's water tank.

The last known footage of Elisa doesnt answer that question; it only raises more. Warning: although this footage is not graphic, some may find it distressing.

In the surveillance video, the hotels elevator appears to be malfunctioning. Elisa can be seen alternately hiding from, looking for, and talking to some unseen person - perhaps out in the hall. You get the distinct impression that shes afraid shes being followed.

What happened after the video ends, how she gained access to the roof - let alone the water tank - remains unknown.

Some have pointed out that Eliza Lam was diagnosed with bipolar disorder by way of explaining her manner of death; others cant shake the feeling that she must have met with foul play.

The latter conclusion is perhaps encouraged by the Cecil Hotels unflattering reputation. Apart from the fact that its a seedy establishment located in a sketchy part of town, it was once the home of infamous serial killer Richard Ramirez, who rented a room in the mid-80s for $14 a night.

We can only hope that there will be a break in the case of Elisa Lam at some point, whether she was murdered or died of misadventure.

Sources: 1, 2.

Ray Gricar had been a district attorney in Pennsylvania since 1985, but in 2004, approaching his 60th birthday, he announced that he would not seek re-election. Tragically, he was right, but not for the reason he thought. (continued…)

Keep reading on the next page!

On April 15, 2005, at around 11:30 in the morning, Gricar called his girlfriend, Patty Fornicola to tell her that he was driving through the small Pennsylvania community of Brush Valley. When Gricar still hadnt returned home 12 hours later, Fornicola became concerned and reported him missing.

The following day, authorities found Gricars red Mini in a mall parking lot. His cell phone was still in the vehicle, and there was no sign of forced entry or a struggle. Unfortunately, there was also no sign of Gricar. His keys, wallet, and laptop were also absent. 

Something else stuck out to investigators. The body of Gricars older brother had been found in an Ohio river in 1996. Gricars Mini was found in an eerily similar area to the one where his brother died, within walking distance of two bridges over the Susquehanna River. However, an immediate search of the river yielded no clues or remains.  

Three months later, two fishermen found a laptop in the Susquehanna, which was identified as belonging to Gricar. However, the hard drive was missing. Two months later, a hard drive was found on the banks of the river, but it had sustained too much damage to undergo data recovery. Even the experts who recovered information from the hard drive of the destroyed Space Shuttle Columbia were unsuccessful in their attempts.

In 2009 it came out that someone had used the home computer Gricar shared with his girlfriend to make some very specific internet searches. How to wreck a hard drive. How to fry a hard drive. Water damage to notebook computer.

In 2011, Ray Gricar was declared legally dead. But theres an interesting postscript. 

The day after the missing attorney was declared dead, a man was arrested in Utah on misdemeanor charges. This fellow bore a striking resemblance to Gricar, and refused to give police his name. Although the two men had nearly identical features, a fingerprint test did not match. 

The fate of Ray Gricar, and the reason his laptop seems to have been intentionally tampered with, remain shrouded in mystery.

Sources: 1, 2

Who is the scariest serial killer in American history? Ted Bundy? John Wayne Gacy? Jeffrey Dahmer?

For my money, the scariest of them all is a man very few have ever heard of. And that's because he's still out there. (continued...)

Keep reading on the next page!

He's most commonly known as 'the Original Night Stalker', and he killed at least 12 people in California between 1978 and 1986. Before he began his murderous rampage, he assaulted at least 50 women in a horrifying series of home invasions.

The Night Stalker was a master burglar who planned his crimes meticulously. Many of his assault victims reported that objects in their homes had unaccountably been moved (or removed) in the days and weeks prior to their attack. In some cases, the stalker rifled through his victims belongings, found their guns, and removed the bullets in advance. 

The perpetrator would often call his soon-to-be victims at odd hours. The speculation is that he was trying to figure out their schedules. He would either call and hang up, or ask to speak to "Ray" - as you can hear in this authentic recorded phone call.

(Warning: this voice recording is disturbing.)

In the second call, it is sickeningly evident how much pleasure this psychopath took in terrorizing one of his past victims over the phone.

Eventually, the Original Night Stalker progressed from assault to murder. As he tracked south down the California coast, he established a gruesome modus operandi. He would surprise his victims (usually couples) at night, in their own homes.

There are an overabundant number of unusual details about this case, despite the fact that there has never been any serious, sustained person of interest.

One potential clue is the way the killer planned the attacks. He chose particular areas to reconnoiter based on their convenience before selecting a specific target. He liked middle or upper middle class suburban neighborhoods that were close to woodlands, ravines, and rivers, where he could make his escape. This tactical skill has led many to conclude that the Original Night Stalker may have had military training.

Another odd detail is the way police dogs reacted to his scent; when they smelled him, they lost their minds barking. Trained dogs typically only respond that way to the scent of a drug addict, or someone who is chronically ill. Following up on this point, a number of his assault victims observed that he sweat profusely, had a particularly foul odor, and seemed to be averse to heat.

Finally, many of those who survived their encounters with him got the impression that he was surprisingly young - perhaps in his early twenties when he began his attacks. That means he could still be alive and at large.

Sources: 1, 2.

In the early hours of March 18, 1990, two police officers responded to a call from the Isabella Gardner Museum in Boston. One of the museum's security guards let the officers in without question.

He shouldn't have. (continued...)

Keep reading on the next page!

Once the officers were inside, they informed the bemused guard that there was a warrant out for his arrest. They threw him against the wall and slapped handcuffs on him.

The guard later said he found it suspicious that the officers had not patted him down before cuffing him. He became even more suspicious when he realized that one of the 'policemen' was wearing a fake moustache.

When the other security guard on duty arrived, he too was handcuffed. The intruders then marched them down into the basement where they were gagged and bound to pipes.

Over the course of the next hour, the intruders cut thirteen paintings out of their frames. In total, they stole $500,000,000 worth of art, making this heist the largest single theft of private property in history. One painting alone - Vermeer's The Concert - was valued at $200,000,000.

But investigators were also confused by the works the thieves chose to steal. They had unfettered access to the museum for hours and could have made off with anything they pleased, yet they left the most valuable works behind.

This has led some investigators to surmise that the thieves were not experts, nor were they commissioned to steal anything in particular. They may have been amateurs doing it on a lark.

Still other investigators have speculated that the men may have been connected to organized crime.

We will probably never know what their motives were. In 2013, the FBI announced that they had discovered the identities of the men who had committed the burglary. Then, in 2015, they cryptically declared that both men were dead.

Dead or not, it's bizarre that the thieves never came forward. Because of the statute of limitations, they couldn't have been prosecuted after five years, and they could have collected the multi-million dollar rewards that were offered for the return of the paintings.


August 20, 2007. Jedidiah Island, British Columbia, Canada.

A young girl on vacation was walking along the beach when she saw an Adidas shoe that had washed in on the surf. When she went to investigate, she discovered that there was a severed foot still inside. (continued...)

Keep reading on the next page!

Since that gruesome discovery, 15 more severed feet have been discovered on the shores of the Salish Sea, both in British Columbia and in Washington State. Only four of the feet have been identified - at least two of which were linked to persons thought to have committed suicide. But the rest of the feet remain unidentified, with no widely accepted explanation as to how they got there.

It's a difficult mystery to reckon with. In the first place, unpredictable ocean currents could carry a severed food hundreds or even thousands of miles. In the second place, depending on conditions, cold water can preserve human tissue for up to thirty years, making it difficult to say even how long the feet have been in the water.

In the third place, there's no good explanation as to why only feet have been recovered, and never any other body parts.


It happened to the Beaumont family in Australia in 1966. A mother allowed her three children aged 9, 7 and 4 to catch the bus to the local beach for the afternoon, provided they were home by 3 PM. The eldest, Jane, was quite responsible, and this was a simpler time when people were less wary of strangers.

Their mother gave them some loose change but no paper money. (This detail is important.) The children ran along to the beach, where witnesses saw them playing with a man who looked like a surfer; they reported that the children later left the area in the company of this man. Onlookers must have assumed that he was a relative.

The Beaumont children were seen by a few more people that day. They stopped by a deli to buy some meat pies - which they paid for with paper money. But after that, they were never heard from again. Nothing of them has ever been found.

What makes the mystery even creepier is that in 1973, 7 years later, there was another mysterious case of apparent child abduction not far away.

This time two young girls, Tracey Gordon, 4, and Joanne Ratcliffe, 11, went missing from a soccer match. They were last seen with a man who matched the description of the surfer last seen with the Beaumont children 7 years earlier.

Nobody knows for sure, but most locals figure there was an unknown serial killer operating in the area who was never brought to justice.


In most murder cases, the tricky part is finding the killer. In this case, the challenge is figuring out who the victims were. (continued...)

Keep reading on the next page!

On December 2, 2012, confessed serial killer Israel Keyes died in his prison cell. Keyes was not fond of life behind bars, so he decided to become his own final victim.

For months, Keyes had been playing a cat-and-mouse game with the FBI. They knew he had claimed more than the three victims he admitted to; he had told them as much. But they didn't know who he had killed, or where.

Keyes was, in every sense, a nightmare criminal. He was based in Alaska, but he travelled extensively all over the US, Canada, and Central America. He liked to commit his crimes far from afield, where nobody would recognize him, and from whence he could vanish before anyone even knew a crime had been committed.

According to Keyes, his method went something like this. He would fly to a city in the mainland US. Then he would rent a car and drive as much as thousand miles from his original destination. He would take the battery out of his phone and pay for everything in cash (which he acquired by robbing banks) so that his movements couldn't be tracked. Then he would find his victims.

In a series of unnerving interviews, Keyes arrogantly explained to the FBI the nature of his disgusting double life, and the lengths to which he went to conceal it.

Keyes was able to avoid capture for a long time because he chose his victims entirely at random. Unlike most serial killers, he didn't favor one type of victim. He didn't care what they looked like, how old they were, or even whether they were male or female.

He told investigators that he would go to a secluded place, such as a woodland trail, and lay in wait. Like a spider, he would kill whoever stumbled into his trap, and then dispose of the bodies in lakes or shallow graves in the wilderness. Because of his methods, Keyes told police that few of his crimes were treated as suspected homicides. Instead, most of his victims were investigated as missing persons, and thus received less intensive media coverage and police resources.

Apart from the extraordinary measures Keyes took to avoid capture, he also planned terrifyingly far in advance. He had a number of "kill kits" buried in secluded areas across the continent. He kept no written record of their locations - he had them all committed to memory. In one case, he buried a kill kit in rural Vermont, retrieved it two years later, and then used it to commit a double homicide.

The only reason Keyes was ever caught was because he committed a murder in Alaska, where he lived, and then drove around using the victim's ATM card. If he had stuck to his own 'rules', he would probably still be out there.

As to his unknown victims, he left the world with few clues. Due to his extensive travelling and the random nature of his crimes, it is unlikely that we will ever know how many people Israel Keyes killed.


Whoops. That snip was just a hair too far....

Your first bad haircut probably made you want to die a little when you looked in the mirror. Imagine how the person cutting your hair must have felt. Although, maybe they didn't care at all, as evidenced by the bs excuse they gave you when you finished in the barber chair.

Keep reading... Show less