12 Little Known Facts About The Titanic. These Will Make Your Heart Sink.
"Many brave things were done that night but none more brave than by those few men playing minute after minute as the ship settled quietly lower and lower in the sea...the music they played serving alike as their own immortal requiem and their right to be recorded on the rulls of undying fame."
-Lawrence Beesley, Titanic Survivor
This article was inspired by "The Sinking Of The Titanic Was Famous, But Did You Know These Things? I Didn't." Over at Viralfeeds. Each source is shown below their corresponding fact, and the link to the original article can be found at the bottom of this page. Cheers!
1. An emergency life boat drill was supposed to take place so that the passengers could know what to do in case of a disaster, but it was canceled. It was scheduled for the day before the ship sank.
2. Remember that scene in the movie where the musicians continued to play as the ship was sinking? That actually happened. They continued to play for hours as the ship was going down.
3. Milton Hershey, of Hershey chocolate fame, had tickets to be on the Titanic but canceled his reservation due to a business meeting.
4. A Japanese survivor was deemed a coward when he returned to Japan for not dying with the rest of the passengers.
5. The iconic 4 smokestacks on the Titanic was a ruse. Only 3 of them worked, the 4th one was just for show to make the ship look more impressive.
6. The budget for the movie Titanic was actually higher than that of the actual Titanic.
7. The iceberg that sank the Titanic began its journey somewhere around 1000 BCE.
9. The Chief Baker on board the Titanic survived the crash and freezing cold water because he drank so much alcohol that it kept his organs fortified for 2 hours until he was rescued.
10. The Titanic is the only ocean liner to ever be sunk by an iceberg.
11. Most life boats on the ship that had been used werent filled to capacity. There were enough life boats for everyone to survive if they had been filled to capacity.
12. The Titanic crash could have been avoided if they had gotten word about the iceberg 30 seconds before the captain did.
Looking for the original? Check it out at Viral Tales.
Don't forget to share.
There comes a time in our lives when we have to cut people out because of their toxic, negative, or destructive behavior. And there's no shame in doing it - tolerance and acceptance can only go so far, and there is always a last straw.
The785 asked: What was the incident that made you cut somebody close out of your life?
Submissions have been edited for clarity, context, and profanity.