18 Medical Professionals Share The Creepiest Thing They've Seen At Work.

"Um, Doctor, is the patient supposed to still be awake?"

Medical professionals on Reddit were asked: "What is the paranormal/weirdest thing you have ever experienced while working?" These are some of the best answers.

1/18 I did my clinical as a CNA in a memory care unit. I helped feed this woman. She never really moved. Never talked. It was like she was in a coma or something. I would wheel her into the dining room. I can hardly get any real food in her. I'm able to slide in some special ice cream. For days she doesn't move or have any response.

I'm feeding her and talking to myself pretty much. After about ten minutes she slowly turns her head and says "oh hello" then she rotates her head back her blank staring position.

Super creepy!!

SoberHungry

2/18 Night nurse for 4 years now at an old folk's home. Had a palliative who couldn't sleep because of incredibly vivid hallucinations. She would describe voodoo people around her room that would just stare at her waiting for her to die. I didn't take it seriously until the lady across the hall (who rarely ever spoke) starting seeing them in her room too. Legitimate shivers.

ryank_119

3/18 Used to work in a personal care home. A couple of times, a day or so after a resident had passed, their call bell would go off in their room. No one was in the room when the call bell went off on any of the occasions.

We had one resident die pretty traumatically (nurses had to perform cpr because he was a full code). That night, the midnight staff said they saw him at the end of the hall just walking down like he always did. Then, the alarm on the door to the outside (it was a secured unit for Alzheimer's/dementia) went off. It was the door he always tried when he was looking to get out.

samster338

4/18 ER nurse. Had an old lady come in by ambulance, near death. She was a DNR, so we weren't going to do much for her. She didn't have any family that we could find. The hospital was full, so we had to keep her in the ER for the night.

Again, she was near death. When you've seen enough people die, there's no mistaking it, and she was almost there. Barely responsive; pale, cool, breaths were really irregular. Heart rate was up and down, too. We just turned the lights down and kept an eye on her monitor, basically waiting for her to die.

About an hour later, she's standing at the door of her room. She'd gotten up and put on all her clothes. We were all like, WTF? One of the nurses went to check on her, and she said she was hungry. Not knowing really what to make of things, we got her a chair, a bedside table, and went to the cafeteria and got her a tray of food.

Lady sat there, ate all her food, talked with the staff a little. After about an hour, she told her nurse that she was tired and wanted to lie back down. We helped her back into bed, and within 30 minutes she was dead. Not exactly paranormal, but in 22 years in busy-ass, inner city ERs, it's the weirdest thing I've seen.

[deleted]

5/18 When I was a student, I got called in on a stroke patient. She had coded and they were doing CPR. They worked for 45 minutes, but she died. They cleaned her up and called on the family to say good bye. By the time the family left she had been both brain dead and without a pulse for more than 45 minutes. Blood had filled her brain and she was completely grey and started to smell. Suddenly, she sat up, and called for her family. The nurses rushed to get monitors and equipment back on her. Started working on her again, she stabilized, said goodbye to her family, and promptly died a second time.

simplesimon6262

6/18 Used to work in a skilled nursing facility. I was usually assigned to the Alzheimer's ward. One night I'm in the linen room stocking my cart, and I heard someone shuffle up behind me, then I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around and there was no one else in the room. The door was still shut too.

Another lady started to complain that a man was coming into her room at night (again, Alzheimer's so I didn't think much of it) so to reassure her, I told her I'd check on her throughout the night. She complained of this man for every night for 2 more weeks when I asked her to describe him to me. "He's real handsome, and wears a black suit. Oh. He's right behind you now, honey."

That freaked me the f*ck out. Of course there was no one behind me. She died the next night in her sleep.

[deleted]

7/18 About 2 years ago we treated patients during a fungal meningitis outbreak. Our acute care floor has a census of 20. During this, at least 10-15 were meningitis patients, age ranging from twenties to nineties. There are no shared rooms and all the patients were in isolation, no contact with one another. Many of them had the same hallucinations, children in the corners of their rooms and auditory hallucinations of religious music.

RN_Waitress

8/18 I saw a mannequin blink.

This was when I was still training to be a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) at our local community college. Now, we had these regular non-horrifying mannequins we used for all the dressing, bathing and bed-making practice. They even had err, attachments for catheters. But we didn't store all the equipment in the classroom, there was a small backroom that was locked off that we had to get some stuff out of one day. I volunteered to go grab it (some clothes for the mannequins I think), and when I unlocked the door it was pitch black inside. It was like the room sucked out some of the light coming IN THE room. When I flicked on the ceiling light, before me on a ragged old stretcher, lay the most inhuman, terrifying looking freaking mannequin I have ever seen. I don't know what these manufacturers use for a reference when they're making the face, but they can't be human. It was so twisted and looked like it was in agony. Shit dude, this thing looked like it was in PAIN. F*cking creepy. Anyway, I grabbed the stuff our teacher wanted, and when I took a look back, I could see one of it's plastic eyelids close, and open. Freaked me the f*ck out, didn't go in that room again for the rest of the course.

[deleted]

9/18 LPN here, I work in long term care currently, a lot of palliative residents always claim to hallucinate either small dogs or its either children eating ice cream before they die... It's always facility specific too. One facility I work at I have had about 6 - 7 residents claim to see a little girl eating ice cream than they die that night. Im going to find that little shit, she is causing me so much paperwork.

boonedj

10/18 I work in a cardiovascular surgical ICU. We have a lot of f*cked up people (both physically and mentally) that come through our unit. We had a stretch of nights were each corner room of our unit (it is a perfect square) reported seeing a cat walking around. Not a friendly cat either, apparently. The thing was hissing at them.

The accounts were so similar to each other we actually spent probably a half hour looking around for a cat and then had security/plan ops come look as well. No cat was ever seen or found. 2 of those 4 patients coded the next day.

ajh1717

11/18 I worked night shift when a ward patient's relative came running to the nurses' station in a panic. "Nurse! Come quick!", she cried. "What happened?" "You have to see it for yourself!"

I ran to the ward when this little old lady patient was crying and holding on to the bed for dear life. Her bed was shaking. Now, you're probably thinking that the lady was the one causing all that shaking. But she was this frail, practically emaciated thing. She couldn't have barely rattled the bed rails. The ward had only two other patients in it and their respective watchers. Everyone was huddled in a corner, shaking in fright.

Apparently that particularly ward was seldom used, and the bed that old lady lay in was rarely occupied. People who have laid in it complained of nightmares where they hear screams and laughter of angry children. I guess some restless spirit called dibs on that particular bed. :/

joowulz

12/18 Patient had passed away during my shift. The patient was well known and liked on the ward. At handover that evening I mentioned the patient had passed away. The door to the handover room (which I had closed) opened and shut just as I mentioned she had passed away. She was totally saying goodbye. Later that month on nights we were chatting about said patient at the nurses station. Weirdly a card which was pinned on a notice board fell just as we started talking about her. Went to pick it up. It was a card from the patients family saying thanks for caring their parent.

I thought it was quite nice.

Mogwa

13/18 I worked in a hospital as a CNA for over two years. Every time a patient would mention having a dream about a cat, they would code within 24 hours. And this was not a hospital where people coded particularly often.

I actually got into an argument with a doctor about it once, the SWAT nurse had mentioned that a patient had dreamed about a cat so he was going to keep a closer eye on him. The doctor (we weren't even talking to him!) dismissed it, then told us that he was the doctor and he said it was completely impossible, so don't even talk about it anymore. I told him I hadn't known that his MD had come with a degree in paranormal psychology. He didn't take too kindly to that.

Anyways, I don't know if it's paranormal, or if maybe we just have a social/cultural awareness of cats as omens, so our subconscious brings them to the forefront when something is going wrong. And if you were wondering, the patient mentioned above coded and died later that evening. Spoooooky.

catiefsm

14/18 My town has two really old hospitals. One no longer functions as overnight, and the stories are unsettling. No one cleans the old ER alone, because all the lights and call bells go off. On other floors there's a kid with his ball, a lady in a white dress, etc. A coworker was cleaning an entire floor utterly solo (the norm) and bounced between rooms because the cleaning solution stays wet for a few min. Upon returning to a freshly wiped bed, hand prints were clearly visible.

Sapphire_Starr

15/18 I was doing nursing clinicals at a small hospital that used the same type of telemetry throughout the entire building. Occasionally patients would be put on some other equipment if they had specific needs. The standard telemetry would not make any sounds in a patients room, but some of the other options that were used did.

So this one morning I am walking down the hall and I hear "Beep, beep, beep, beep" going super fast like 160BPM coming from a patients room. A moment later I heard it start to slow down "beep... beep... beep... ... ...beep" then it just stopped. I ran into the room expecting to call a code when I saw the patient watching The Price is Right with the volume cranked and someone just spun that f*cking wheel.

xplodingboy07

16/18 Just a volunteer at a local place where people go to die, and I see ghosts on the regular. I'm generally there at night, and ghosts make the doors open or close or stick together, I've offered to help someone and started walking only to turn around and see that there was nobody there in the first place. There's a particularly nice ghost who wears a plaid shirt, he moves flower pots away from the edges of the countertops. All in all its a very freaky experience but most of them are nice, just lost.

unsureblankets

17/18 Never anything paranormal, but I had an older patient who kept every piece of paper from ever hospital stay. His heart was in bad shape so I was desperately looking for anything to help our cardiologists out. I finally found his records from when he had heart surgery. It was in Perris, CA in the 1980's. I was just reading a book about nurses who became serial killers, when sure enough I see records with the name Robert Diaz. I was the nurse for a man who's former nurse was a serial killer.

Zebrog

18/18 I work midnights in a long term care facility as a nurses assistant. I have two men under my care and both of them are unable to use their call lights. They have severe dementia and debilitating Parkinson's disease but still their lights are looped around their bed rail. One night their light came on and I went to answer it already confused and creeped out. I turned it off and left the room. Before I could get two doors up the light came back on. I went in there and both lights were unplugged from the wall and thrown under their beds. I fished them out, plugged them back in and left.

beeoakly

Source

!

philm1310/Pixabay

Keeping secrets from kids might seem like an easy thing, but they tend to see and hear (and understand) a lot more than what the adults in their lives think they do.

Keep reading... Show less