20 People Share The Moment They Realized Their Parents Weren't Perfect.

Growing up, it's easy to look up to your parents as a monument of perfection in your life. After all, they seem to have all the answers to your questions, they keep you safe, and heck they even seem to read your mind sometimes.

But, SPOILER ALERT your parents are also humans. People from across the globe came together to share the moment they realized their parents aren't perfect. Here are some of our favorite answers.

1/20. When I found my dad smoking weed when I was about 12.
BlackbirdOfChernobyl

2/20. My father abandoned me.
-Rumplestiltskin-

3/20. My mom thought I broke a coffee mug. She confronted me about it and I told her I didn't do it. She said it wasn't big enough of a deal to lie about and just tell her what happened. I told her it wasn't me. So I got spanked, she asked if I did it and I said no. She went and got a belt from her room and beat me like an insane person (which she was, and still is). She asked did I do it. I said yes. She said why did you lie to me. And I told her so she'd stop hitting me.

So I got told to go to my room and I had lay there until my stepdad got home and he'd "fix" me. My mom told him what problems she was having with me lying about the coffee mug. He told her that he had broken it. She never apologized once. She now says it never happened.
wilsonism

4/20. When I realized I'm 23 and my mom is 43.... And that I was born in April and my mom was married in February.... Hooray for being an oops.
titty_twister_9000

5/20. Probably when they announced they were separating (and later got a divorce.) I still remember thinking that night "No, that's something that happens to the kids at school, not me."
couchjitsu

6/20. My parents got divorced because my mum cheated on my father while moving countries.
bearynicecupcake

More realizations on the next page.

7/20. Up until I was about ten years old I believed that once you became an adult you were basically perfect, you could never do any wrong. Then I came home one day and my mother was crying, turns out my dad had been hooking up with his secretary for about a year.

LethargicWhale

8/20. When I became a parent.
popcorn_fart

9/20. When they started fighting for a prolonged period of time and eventually split up. A LOT came out in those hellish months.
Pasalacqua87

10/20. When we went broke the first time and we had to sleep on the floor of my grandmas house for years in a one bed one bath apartment.

dis0riented

11/20. When I started noticing all the arguments. The belittling. The sarcastic imitations of each other done behind each others' backs, or sometimes to each others' faces.

Mostly though, it was when I realized how often they were wrong about things, and how little my opinion mattered to them. Whether or not I knew the correct answer to something was inconsequential because "I'm your mother/father, therefore I'm right".
Gluttony4

Continue to the next page for more parent realizations!

12/20. When I realized my mother was insecure about her looks. She bought all these anti-aging creams, and went on diet after diet. She even started poking at my body and trying to criticize it. I remember thinking that that was all normal, and just how women were, until I moved out and realized "Hey! This is just my own mother's insecurity based on ridiculous expectations for women. She's not perfect. She gets insecure. And she's projecting them onto me." I began to appreciate her more after that. She's only human.
-Anonymous

13/20. When I asked what a word was, and they didn't know it either.

TOFUOLOGY

14/20. Going over to friend's houses and seeing their families interact. My parents are hoarders of useless junk and I could never have friends over to my house. They fed me and my brother a diet of fast food and frozen food. I couldn't read at age 3, but I could tell you all the fast food signs. They never cared if I did my homework.

My best friend had very poor parents and she always felt ashamed of their house not being nice and her mom cooking dinner instead of being able to order pizza or take us out. I thought it was amazing to see a house that wasn't littered with useless stuff everywhere, where you could actually move around and do things and eat home cooked food that someone loved you enough to make for you every night, and parents who cared about your schoolwork and your hopes and dreams. I think that was the moment I realized my parents weren't perfect and my family was very different than most.
[deleted]

15/20. My parents preached against gay marriage, telling me it's a sacred covenant under God yet they ended up resenting each other and sleeping in separate rooms. Now I don't allow my Christian beliefs to deny other people's right to get married based on orientation.
Colossus_Of_Coburns

16/20. When I wanted to learn how to bake and asked my mom to teach me her dessert recipes. I always thought she had the best homemade brownies and cakes. Most of them were Betty Crocker box mixes.
jetisnotaplane

Continue to the next page for more parent realizations.

17/20. My mom claims to love Jesus but judges others and complains about the "druggies" she deals with at work (NICU). She thinks she is better than other people.

AriaGalactica

18/20. When I found out parenting is about teaching children, not a dictatorship.
lunaticc

19/20. Their stance on mental health. I developed OCD, depression, and anxiety as the years went on and after some slight psychological trauma. They never had any compassion for it, and always told me it was in my head, that I was faking, or that I "would just love for something to be wrong" with me. This helped me realize that they're just people with their own thoughts and views of the world, raised by others just the same. They aren't super human or perfect, and neither are their ideas. Once I realized this, I began thinking for myself more and forming my own ideas of the world. They hate most of them (my ideas and views), but it's whatever.

abductodude

20/20. I used to think my parents were the smartest, all-knowing people on the planet. Not just in school-related topics but in regards to life-related topics as well. It took me until well into college when I'd make firm assertions, previously made by my parents to me or to others, that people would call me out on that I realized they didn't know everything. It turns out everyone's human.

EmDee2Be

Share with someone you know!

Whoops. That snip was just a hair too far....

Your first bad haircut probably made you want to die a little when you looked in the mirror. Imagine how the person cutting your hair must have felt. Although, maybe they didn't care at all, as evidenced by the bs excuse they gave you when you finished in the barber chair.

Keep reading... Show less