20 Teachers In America Share How The Kids In Their Class Feel About Donald Trump.

Teachers across the US were asked to share how their students felt about the election, and there was one topic that came up again and again: Trump. Trump. Trump.

Even though they can't vote, the children of America are acting kind of like the adults of America some are supportive and others are terrified.

If you would like to see more, you can check out the full survey here.

1/20. One of my 3rd graders is from [an African country] and she is Muslim. She said, "My father said if Donald Trump becomes president, he is going to leave America."

A boy in the class responded "Yeah, he do not like you and he do not like Mexican guys."

Then she added, "I think that a lot of people don't want him to be president, because I saw on TV, on CNN, that people were throwing burgers and paper and stuff at him. But he said 'I don't care if people like me, I just care if I'm the president.'"

Another day she said, "I don't like when kids call me terrorist."

2/20. Students asked me why politicians can yell at each other like that.

3/20. In the past two days there has been a group of 8th grade boys coming to school with Trump-emblazoned t-shirts, red-white-and-blue plastic leis, and other "patriotic" decorations that are related to this Trump support. These are popular boys, and the group is growing. There are plenty of teachers who are saying to them how much they, too, like Trump. I am appalled. I demanded to know why these teachers were telling students that they liked Trump, but the only person who could name a reason said, "I don't think illegal immigrants should be in our country." I responded, "Oh, so you think a nationalist, exclusionary, hateful rhetoric-spouting millionaire bad boy is going to help our country?" She said, "You know what I mean about immigrants." I said, "No--I don't know what you mean.

4/20. Many of them are against Trump as he is directlyinsulting them.

5/20. Students from families supporting Republicancandidates, especially (but not limited to) Trump, havebeen much more vocal about their distrust of Muslimsand President Obama.

6/20. "My fourth graders are having a difficult time understanding why Donald Trump is using such hateful and inflammatory rhetoric. One of my students who is Muslim is worried that he will have to wear a microchip identifying him as Muslim."

Continue reading what teachers had to say on the next page.

7/20. "I can say that some mystudents seem to think Trump's incendiary speech willsomehow improve our country."

8/20. "My students are from primarily low-income families.However, because Donald Trump is known for hismoney, they want to talk about how it would be greatto have a "rich" president."

9/20. "My Hispanic students seem dejected about not onlyDonald Trump's rhetoric, but also about the amount ofpeople who seem to agree with him. They feel sure thatAmericans, their fellow students, and even theirteachers hate them (regardless of their citizenship)."

10/20. "One of the students from another classroom wore aTrump t-shirt to school on Super Tuesday. Whenchallenged by a student, he became upset andresponded in an inappropriate manner. This allowed for a conversation about everyone having a right tochoose the candidate of their choice."

11/20. "I have been asked by my first graders if it's true whatTrump has been saying. Usually, what my first gradersare repeating is exactly what Trump has said. I see themscared of Trump wanting to "kill China," which I havethen explained enough to alleviate fears. They areconfused by why Trump would say bad things aboutwomen and Muslims. But we have studied the civilrights movement a lot, and we talk often about thingsin terms of being fair or unfair. My students have beenfearful and confused, and I help them sort out what isreal and why not to fear it, but look on it as somethingunfair that needs to be changed. It's convincing themthat voting is important! I have one student (among 24first graders) that supports Trump, and he getsfrustrated that no one agrees with him. It's a goodlesson of treating someone else with respect, andallowing each person to have his or her own opinion,even if you do not agree with that person."

12/20. "I have students who are scared about what may happento them or their family members if Donald Trumpbecause president. They fear they or family memberswill be deported...even though they are citizens."

Continue to the next page for more!

13/20. "I work in a school located in MA. My school wasdesignated as a primary voting center on SuperTuesday. Our students from k through 8 witnessedfirsthand how the electoral system works. On that day Ihad many of my middle school students come up to meto ask if I was going to vote. After finding out I wasplanning to vote in the primary, they eagerly followedup by telling me not to vote for Donald Trump. Thisoccurrence happened to me four more times in thespan of ten minutes before first period started.Following the directions to not vote for Trump I askedwhy? Each student would go on to tell me they do notwant to lose their family. They told me they do notwant their family to be deported. Many of my students are first generation Americans.Their parents' are either in [MA city] on visas or hereillegally. They hearon a daily basis that Donald Trump is a racist and hewants their families out of America. Along with that,they hear about deportation raids happening and fear afuture Trump presidency where that is a dailyoccurrence."

14/20. "A lot of our students from historicallymarginalized identities (e.g., Muslim, people of color,and LGBTQ+-identified folks) are truly scared fortheir lives if Trump were elected."

15/20. Afifth-grade teacher whose class watches CNN StudentNews each morning told me that one of my ESLstudents said, "That man scares me!" when Trump'sface flashed across the screen. He wasn't kidding. Hiseyes were huge and real fear flashed across his face.Many, many students have told me some version of,"Donald Trump hates us," or "Donald Trump hates allMexicans." I have spoken with parents whose childrenhave heard racial slurs and taunting. Unfortunately,staff has not always dealt appropriately with theseincidents of bullying.

16/20. Students in my racially diverse and immigrant diverseschool are generally fearful of what may happen tothem or their families if Trump is elected. They voice it,they write it, they talk about it when they are having astressful day, they add it to their papers (like writing theword TRUMP in a circle and making a slash throughit).

17/20. Students who support Trump are getting extremelyinvolved with students who are against Trump. Theconversations quickly digress into a fire that is rarelyseen with basic politics. On the other hand - studentswho support Trump for one reason or another are inturn also ostracized from the mainstream as we are afairly liberal school. It is causing social divide amongststudents who were once (if not friends) at least cordialto each other.

More on the next page.

18/20. There are jokes about moving to Canada.

19/20. I have many immigrant students who are constantly in fear of their parents being deported.

20/20. One of my students gestured at the other brownstudents in the room and said, "If Donald Trumpbecome President, you're OUTTA HERE! Andyou're outta here and you're outta here and youand you! And me. Because I'm Mexican."

Those of us who live in New York live this truth on a daily basis.

Sometimes, you just meet a person who isn't quite all there. It's hard to tell at first, but then you talk with them for a little while and it just becomes abundantly clear if they're two eggs short of an omelette.

The stories of how you find out are so interesting. But yet, they teach us to look for clues when we interact with others.

Keep reading... Show less