48 Of The Most Profound Scientific Questions Ever Asked.

Do you have a question that mainstream science refuses to answer? Are your theories and experiments so bizarre that sensible people tell you they will never be published? Then look no further!

The subreddit Crappy Ask Science is just for you! Here's a compilation of our favourite questions.

The first dog in space died of stress. Was that because of all the vacuums up there?

727Super27

My girlfriend says she needs time and distance. Is she calculating velocity?

neonwhite96

In America, someone is shot every 15 seconds. How is that person still alive?

justinjay700

Why does this 2 pound coin only weigh 0.02 pounds?

chickymomo

Are there any long term environmental effects to removing so many Pokemon from the wild?

Insilico84

Maybe the reason aliens haven't visited our solar system yet is because we only have 1 star? They'd probably only look for systems that received at least a 4 out of 5 stars rating, right?

BasementDweller3000

Why do you hear of celebrities dying, but you never hear of them being born?

thebruce87m

I was told to set my clock back an hour when it showed 2AM on November 1st. I've done this 8 times now. When can I stop setting the clock back?

wmb0823

Britain is officially leaving Europe. Where are they going to go/how hard is it to move an island?

NullFrontalFudity

How many calories does my girlfriend burn by jumping to conclusions?

ThisIsSpartaChris

Do spiders in europe have 2.4384 meters instead of 8 feet?

Hansibus

If the camera adds 10 pounds, could the NSA's surveillance camera system be the cause of American obesity?

Jacicus

Why hasn't Ryan Gosling become Ryan Goose yet?

lord_ofthe_memes

Lost my house in the flood. Friends and family have been offering support over Facebook. Does anyone know how to convert 'Thoughts and Prayers' into USD?

BiBoFieTo

I got an F in sex on my ID. How long do I need to study before I get an A?

nesfor

The human body is 70% water, so in case of fire, is the best course of action to throw your body directly onto it?

paullllllll

People say microwaves are invisible but I can still see them in my kitchen. Am I a genetically engineered superhuman who will save the human race?

seha5

If the gas station is 2 km away, and my dad can travel at 60 km/hr, why hasn't he returned from getting cigarettes for 6 years?

Bars555

I heard Mars has no atmosphere. Could we create an atmosphere by dimming the lights and playing smooth jazz?

DoggoFights

Now that gay marriage is legal in all states, should I get married in gas, liquid or solid state?

Mellejw

In most countries water boils at 100, but in the USA it doesn't boil until 212. What's so different about American water?

ZBeebs

I just drank a whole bottle of Johnson & Johnson No More Tears. How long until my depression goes away?

ashikkins

Why didn't the inventor of the pillow just make both sides cold instead of only one?

Raithen

Skylight stops working at night. All other lights work 24/7. Any electricians that can help me with this anomaly?

usaf_jeff

Why do people come back from baby changing stations with the same baby?

Maggin1

Is the ocean salty because the land doesn't wave back?

JRHWV

How can I bake my cake at 150 degrees without making a mess?

wyndyteeee

I bought a "Smart" TV, but I'm still able to watch Duck Dynasty. Why isn't it working?

Wawawawaluigi

Why did people used to build ruins?

bugaosuni

My pizza says to bake for 18-21 minutes. How do I bake something for -3 minutes?

wannabe_brazilian

When we use ad-block software that blocks 99.99% of ads, are we not just selecting only the strongest and most resistant ads to repopulate our internets?

codyave

If it takes 66 days to form a habit can I smoke cigarettes for 65 days, take a day off, then resume smoking for another 65 days to avoid becoming addicted?

iaminfamy

Pizza has crust. Earth has crust. Pizza is flat. Doesn't this prove that Earth is flat?

TheCreatorLovesYou

My doctor said he's been practicing for 30 years. When will he start doing his job for real?

dhy615

How often should I change my gender fluid?

c_murphy

Today I learned that women are 99% more likely to die during childbirth than men. Why hasn't modern medicine addressed this issue?

deathbysupercool

If I take LSD and go to a dubstep concert, will the bass neutralize the acid?

Matraxia

If it's good to stop smoking, should I start smoking first?

bulblub

I accidentally swallowed an ice cube whole yesterday and still have not passed it. Should I be concerned?

LaocoonPwnedBySnakes

If 1 in 5 kids faces hunger, why don't we just turn every fifth kid around?

Dex33u

If smoking is so bad for you, how come it cures salmon?

Fun_Fingers

The puzzle I bought says "5-6 years", yet I finished it in only 2 years; is there a test I can take to determine how much of a genius I am?

Key-phob

I'm 30 years old and I still have my kidneys. When will my adultneys develop?

Serendippity18

How do gay people get their logo in the sky like that?

nomorepasswords

If Jesus died for our sin, then who died for our cos and tan? 

Mattster00

I heard one beer= 7 slices of bread, but I ate a whole loaf and I'm not drunk yet. Did I do it wrong?

Ireddit66

Can I use y=mx+b to measure the slope of how downhill my life is going?

poutyfawn

Instead of CPR, should a drowning victim be placed in a bag of rice for 24 hours?

lemystery

Source

Some of this material has been edited for clarity.

We are told that, if you're not confident, you should just "fake it til you make it."

This is great--in theory. In practice, sometimes "faking it" can have extremely real and terrible consequences, which these people found out the hardest of hard ways.

Keep reading... Show less