'People Used To Clean It With Lysol.' Incredible Facts About Vaginas That Most People Don't Know.
Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.
1. Penis' aren't the only thing that can grow when it's excited! When aroused, the vagina can expand to around twice its normal size.
2. Contrary to popular belief, most vaginas wont be noticeably different after having babies. There is actually no statistical difference in average recorded vaginal size between women whove had babies and women who havent. So... go forth and multiply!
3. Vagina comes from the Latin root meaning "sheath for a sword" but please don't take that to heart. Ouch!
4. An average vagina is about 15cm deep, which means a man with a 30cm dong cannot even utilize it fully. Looks like size doesn't really matter after all.
5. Vaginas are self-cleaning. What's more, many health care professionals state that douching is dangerous, as it interferes with both the vagina's normal self-cleaning and with the natural bacterial culture of the vagina, and it might spread or introduce infections. So stand back and let your vagina do the work!
6. The G-spot maybe doesnt actually exist.
At least not in the sense that there is a button in your vagina that, when pressed, = orgasm. Its a bit more complex than that (surprise!).
First, some G-spot background: For years, researchers have known that theres an area about an inch or two up on the inside front wall of the vagina (the side closest to your belly button) that is associated with intense pleasure. Thats why mens magazines love to recommend that your partner should insert a finger into your vagina and make a come hither motion to stimulate it.
Heres where it gets a bit complicated... (Continued)
Continue reading on the next page!
Imaging research and surveys done on twins have failed to find an actual organ, or distinct part of the anatomy, responsible for all that pleasure. Plus, not all women report having G-spots, or being able to find one on themselves.
What does this mean? Well, that new research is pointing to the idea that instead of there being a particular spot or button that causes orgasms, the clitoris, urethra, and front side of the vaginal wall all work together as a clitourethrovaginal complex. When all three are stimulated just right, it can result in what some people refer to as a vaginal orgasm (aka a G-spot orgasm). Tell your partner not to retire that come hither motion just yet.
7. Tip! Pee after sex to avoid urinary tract infections.
8. Most people use the word vagina to refer to every part of the female genitals, but that's where they're wrong!
The vulva refers to the outside, visible parts of your genitalia. It encompasses basically everything you can see the labia, the clitoris, the urethra, the vaginal opening, and so on and its usually what most people mean when they say vagina.
The vagina, on the other hand, is the muscular passageway that connects the vulva to the cervix.
9. There are 8000 nerve endings in the clitoris alone... The penis has 4000.
10. Feeling like you have to pee during sex, even though you just went? Thats actually normal. Here's why:
About that clitourethrovaginal complex well, it can mean that sometimes your partner might be stimulating your urethra (or even bladder) during sex, which can potentially make you feel like youve gotta pee.
Theres also a thing called nerve cross-talk, which is where so much is going on down there that your nerves can become confused about what exactly it is theyre experiencing. It might feel like you have to pee, but youre actually just becoming aroused. Phew!
11. About half of all American women use vibrators.
In fact, a nationally representative study of 3,800 women between the ages of 18 and 60 in the United States shows that nearly half of the women had used a vibrator for (continued)
Continue reading on the next page.
nearly half of the women had used a vibrator for masturbation, and 20% had done so within the past month. More than a third said theyd used one during intercourse, and 41% had used one during foreplay or sex play with a partner.
Also interesting: 84% said they had used a vibrator externally, compared to 64% that had used one internally.
12. Your birth control pill can impact how wet youre able to get.
So can breastfeeding and menopause. Thats because your vaginas ability to lubricate is partially tied to estrogen levels
13. Roughly 16% of women say theyve never had an orgasm during intercourse.
And from the same study, about 20 to 30% of women say they only reached orgasm during sex about one in four timesor fewer.
14 .The older you are, the less likely you are to remove your pubic hair.
In a 2010 study of 2,451 women, researchers found that age was a major predictor of how much pubic hair women removed. For example, 18- to 24-year-olds were the most likely to report going totally hair-free; 25- through 49-year-olds were all most likely to list some removal, not total; and the majority of women over 50 said they didnt do any hair removal at all. You can see all the fascinating pube stats from the study here.
15. Lesbians report having more orgasms than straight or bisexual women. According to a recent survey of 6,151 men and women, published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine.
16. In 2009, a woman reportedly set the vagina weightlifting record by lifting over 30 pounds. She attached the weight to a (Continued)
Continue reading on the next page!
wooden egg so her muscles could grab onto it. This gives Kegel exercises a whole new meaning.
17. There is not really a normal amount of discharge to have.
Vaginal discharge amounts vary from person to person, and whats normal for you might not be normal for your friend, Dr. Dweck says. Also, your discharge amount can change depending on what time of the month it is, if you have an infection, and if youre on birth control. It also changes in consistency, color, and smell, depending on all of these things.
18. Your vagina will actually let you know when youre most fertile.
The cervical mucus will become clear and stretchy during ovulation, Dr. Dweck says. Youll probably also notice more of it than usual.
19. Most women will be exposed to HPV in their lifetime, but may not know about it for years (or ever).
20. The vagina is tilted at roughly a 130-degree angle, which is why you have to insert tampons by aiming them at your back.
THAT said, things change with time. The vaginal angle flattens a bit, which may make vaginal intercourse feel different to women as they age and go through menopause, Dr. Herbenick writes in Read My Lips: A Complete Guide to the Vagina and Vulva (Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2011).
21. Vaginas are lined with ringed muscular ridges. This helps it expand when necessary, such as during intercourse or childbirth. They expand up to 200 percent during intercourse or childbirth.
22. People get things stuck in their vaginas sometimes. Actually, often.
Most common are condoms and tampons, which can be tough to retrieve on your own. If this happens to you, and you cant get whatever it is out by yourself, you can absolutely go to the doctor to get it out for you.
I cant even tell you some of the things Ive fished out, Dr. Dweck says. But whats most important is that (Continued)
Continue reading on the next page.
in the gynecology world, we dont pass judgment. Its better to swallow your pride and get help than let it sit there. When it comes to tampons, leaving it in can result in a terrible smell; for harder objects (like vibrators, whipped cream container tops, and so on), leaving it in could leave you susceptible to cutting and injuring yourself. Yikes.
23. but you cant actually lose something in there. Whew!
The cervical wall will block anything sizeable from migrating into your body. Its not going anywhere, Dr. Dweck says. Itll remain at the top of your vagina at the cervix, and itll be retrieved.
24. A doctor once removed a potato that started sprouting vines out of a patients vagina. After questioning the 22-year-old woman about why she put a potato inside her vagina, the patient told the doctor her mother said it would prevent pregnancy. In that case, mother didn't always know best.
25. Believe it or not, the first movie to use the word vagina on film was Disneys The Story of Menstruation, released in 1946.
26. Vaginas and sharks have something in common. They both contain the substance squalene. This exists in shark livers and is a natural vaginal lubricant.
27. In 2009, a woman reportedly set the vagina weightlifting record by lifting over 30 pounds. She attached the weight to a wooden egg so her muscles could grab onto it. This gives Kegel exercises a whole new meaning.
28.The shade of your southern region isn't necessarily related to the tone of the rest of your skin. Many light-skinned women have brown or purplish labia, while a darker-skinned woman can have a lighter vulva. You also can have different colors in different areas for example, your labia could be on the darker side yet your perineum could be pale pink.
29. Your clitoris is as big as a penis.
That's right! Believe it or not, your clitoris actually (Continued)
Continue reading on the next page.
Believe it or not, the entire clitoris, which wraps all the way around to the back of the vagina, is about 80% the size of a penis. When you consider the scale of female and male bodies, this means the clit is proportionately the same size as a penis.
30. Women once thought cleaning their vaginas with Lysol was a good idea
In the early twentieth century, Lysol aggressively and successfully marketed its disinfectant as a vaginal douche. Seriously. For the record, shooting an antiseptic soap into the vagina is a bad idea. Gynecologists do not recommend douching because it alters the vaginal flora and can, ironically, cause an infection.
Nonetheless, sales took off with advertisements preying on feminine insecurities.
For example, one ad showed a woman looking in an ostentatious mirror, surrounded by the text, She was a Jewel of a Wifewith just one flaw. She was guilty of the 'ONE NEGLECT' that mars many marriages. 'Lysol' helps avoid this. Presumably, many paranoid women lysoled their vaginas to save their marriages, although many more used it as an off market birth control option. Lysol neither cleans the vagina nor prevents pregnancy, so it was a bad idea either way.
In most situations, when you're hurt by someone, it can be best to just forgive and forget. However, there are some people that can't help but hold grudges. Sometimes it can just be petty, but other times, it can be for very valid reasons.
HeySistaBrutus asked: What are you STILL mad about?