Terrified People Share The Creepiest Thing That Happened To Them While In The Middle Of Nowhere.

A lot of people take to the woods to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city, but out in the wilderness, you never know what you might find...

Here are ten of the creepiest things that have happened to people while in the middle of nowhere.

Many thanks to the Redditor who posed this question. You can check out more stories from the source at the end of this article!

1/10. Happened in High School. I was at a summer camp that separated boys from the girls. We would normally sleep in separate cabins, however this being a nice night, our counsellors decided it would be nice to camp outside.

Being overly testosteroned high schoolers given new freedom of the outdoors, we decided to separate from our supervision and bee line for the girls camp site. Upon successfully reaching their site and being dumbfounded at what to do, we decided that throwing miscellaneous items into the fire, creating subsequent explosions would be a good ice breaker. Unfortunately due to our brilliance we were quickly brought back to our camp and separated from the girls.

Not being discouraged we decided to regroup and try again. As we began to leave for their site again we heard an extremely loud bang, as if from a high caliber rifle. The sound was followed by another bang. Followed by silence. We all became paralyzed unsure what to do. Was it from the girls site? We were too afraid to find out. We could see a flash light in the distance mulling around the area. I only remember lying quietly, barely able to sleep, joking with fellow campers who would get shot first if that bang was indeed from a gun.

The next morning we woke up, alive and very confused to what had happened. I actually only found out what had happened when I got home from camp. A man had shot his ex at a house right by the camp site we were staying that night. What stood out to me the most, other than aforementioned, was an interview with a neighbour who didn't call the police right away, because she figured the sound was from some stupid kids blowing up things at a camp site.


2/10. So this happened 3 years ago when I was living with my parents in Meeteetse, Wyoming. Super small and secluded. It was Halloween and my parents decorated the house and we expected about 3-4 kids to show up as the house is about a mile from a subdivision and parents usually drive their kids.

At 8 I took in the chair with candy because I figured no one else would be coming around. I'm in the basement where there are no windows and very little sound can get out and it's about 11. All the lights upstairs are shut off because I'm going to bed.

I hear a knock at the side door (which no one ever knocks at). I go upstairs and the flood light which usually turns on automatically wasn't on. So I flipped on the other light that lights up the basketball hoop area. There's a person in one of those "old man" masks that have the crazy hair just standing there. He is just looking at the house. (continued...)

This story continues on the next page!

He sprints to the back where the patio is. I hear loud banging on the back windows. Honestly the loudest kicking I've ever heard. I rush over and the person is just staring. Then he runs away and I don't hear anything for 5 minutes or so.

Then I start hearing the knob to the main door being forcefully jiggled back and forth. I ran upstairs to the bedroom and went to the crawl space in the attic. I immediately dialed 911.

This was the first time I ever dialed 911 so I don't know what I was expecting but the operator didn't seem to be very shocked or wanting to send out a car very quickly. I remember repeating my address like 12 times and the lady kept saying "calm down sir."

She wants me to stay on the line but I'm afraid if the guy got in he would know where I was because of my voice. I hang up and I can hear the knob being slammed like he had a hammer or something. I'm having a full on panic attack and I'm wheezing trying to get air. Then I hear the side door (original door) being kicked super hard. At this point I'm shaking so bad the dust from the floor boards is flying up in the air. I hear a window smash and I immediately know he's going to get in.

I hold my breath which makes the wheezing worse. I'm going to die. I'm listening to hear footsteps or anything. Nothing. The actual amount of time I spent up there was around 16 minutes. I swear it was an hour. An officer showed up and pounded on the door. I ran downstairs and flipped open the door. I told him everything as well as the backup Sheriffs that got there.

They all kept saying a "friend" was probably just trying to scare me. I had no friends in Wyoming. None. They looked around the house and wrote down something but nothing really happened. They left and I drove behind them to Cody, WY and got a hotel room.

I still can't sleep without all the lights on and a .45 on my dresser.


3/10. My brother and I decided to go on a sailing trip. We're both marines, so we don't get to see each other often. We made camp on a small island with a decently sized patch of trees.

At 2am or so we heard a boat coming towards us. Our fire had died down, but was still visible. This was a remote area so it felt off that someone would be coming to our campsite.

We grabbed our weapons and quietly went into the treeline. Some scraggly looking guy started rifling through our stuff, then started walking toward our boat with a rope. I decided to confront him, and my brother stayed back.

To alert this stranger to my presence, I pumped my shotgun, and asked him what he was doing in our camp. Before this guy could say anything, I heard another guy in the darkness beyond the fire scream for me to drop my gun or he would kill me.


This story continues on the next page!

Before I could react, my brother opened fire on the second guy, and I shot the first guy. I retreated back to the treeline, and my brother asked if I was good. I told him I was alright. We did a perimeter sweep, gathered our stuff, and destroyed/sank their boat.

When we got back to shore, we contacted the state police and told them what happened. They detained us until our story could be cleared, then released us. So glad we decided to go together, or there's a good chance one of us could have been killed.


4/10. Some friends and I would take my truck up in the mountains during the winter time and tow someone on a tube across the snow. We'd drop the tailgate in my old long bed Ford and a few guys would sit in the back with one of those bazillion candlelight spotlights.

When I was driving it'd be fun to make really wide turns in the dark so the person on the tube didn't have the luxury of headlights or taillights to somewhat illuminate their trail. The person in the bed of the truck with the spotlight would be funny and shine the light clear off to the side so it was pitch black if you were on the tube.

One particular winter night a snowstorm was rolling in so we headed up to the usual spot and it was DARK that night. A friend was on the tube, I was driving watching my mirrors as I'd swing him wide enough he had little light to see anything.

The guy with the spotlight shined the light clear to the side of the truck and as I checked my mirror and I made eye contact with a guy dressed in jeans, a red plaid shirt, and a blaze orange ball cap. As we made eye contact I lost all control of my body for probably only 5 seconds, but it felt like an eternity.

I stopped the truck and turned it around and asked the guys if they saw him. They all said no, so I flipped the truck around and turned on the high beams and they shined the spotlight all over. I got out and looked for footprints in the fresh snow and saw nothing.

That night we went back home and I told my dad about the weird experience and he didn't think anything of it. A week later on the news the police reported finding a body in the area close to where we were and asked for any tips.

My old man convinced me to call the police and tell them we were up in the area and saw that guy. I called and the police said they'd send an investigator over. (continued...)

This story continues on the next page.

He came over to the house, I recalled the same experience saying it happened 7 days earlier. As soon as I said that, the investigator asked me "you are sure on your date?" Which I was positive, and he showed me a picture of the body they found wearing the same red plaid shirt and blaze orange ball cap. He informed me the body had been on the mountain for at least 1 month so I must have just seen something.

Turns out it was a man who committed suicide on the mountain, 1 month prior to when I saw him.


5/10. I was by myself, working on a railroad track in a swamp in Georgia in the middle of the night. I heard some grunting in the woods, so I froze up, then a pig the size of a Volkswagen came running out of the woods in my direction. It ran right past me, and I hightailed it to my truck.

Called it a night after that.


6/10. On a 41 foot sailboat in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay, with about 7 other men, doing a shake-down/ test cruise, planned to be out for about 12 hours. Mid 1980's, not as reliable weather prediction resources. We get caught in a tropical storm, winds gusting into the 50 mph range, just this short of a weak hurricane.

We had just barely rigged storm hawsers and storm sails because the one fellow onboard who was the best sailor sensed the storm was almost on us, otherwise we would have died.

During the storm itself, I expected to die at any time. In fact we made a "Securite, securite...." call on the radio (if you have time at sea you know what I'm talking about, if not, it's not that important). For what seemed like 15 minutes, we were in a maelstrom, no visibility, but then it passed. We would live!

This was at about 3pm, and although there was cloud cover of course, the ambient light was such that you could see 2 miles or so in any direction.

If you're familiar with the sea, you know that such storms, particularly in shallower depths near land masses, dredge a lot of things of the sea floor.

We're all on deck, working lines, checking damage, etc. and the bay around us is choppy and churning and foaming. Old timey sailors often used the saying "the sea is confused." I look about 15 feet of the starboard side and something swims to the surface, breaks the surface, looks at us, then submerges again. (continued...)

This story continues on the next page.

It was like a thin man, with humanoid shape, arms articulated like a man, a human head, but its skin was covered in scales like a snake. It looked at us, blinked its weird, heavy-lidded eyes, then dove back under.

I made an instant decision that I was not going to say anything. What could I say? "I just saw a strange creature, take my word for it!" The men on this boat were all mechanics and engineers and professionals.

And as I stood there in my life vest, soaking wet, hooked onto the steel lifeline, glad to be alive, one of the other sailors, a USN Captain, with over 30 years experience in the surface navy, piped up and said,

"I just saw a brown thing pop up on the surface! It looked like a lizard man, with a scaley face. It blinked at us with these big eyes and then went back under!"

"Yeah, I saw it too," I said. No one else said that they had seen it.

Then we sailed back to the pier later that day and didn't speak of it again.


7/10. Definitely "Green Flash". Its not creepy or anything but when you actually see the horizon just light up in neon green for a half second you kinda feel...astonished.


8/10. I used to live in rural Panama in a community with no electricity. The whole town is inside by sundown, around 7pm, and asleep by 9pm.

One night, I'm outside at around 11pm photographing stars and I have to turn my headlamp off while the camera is taking the picture, usually about 30 to 150 seconds at a time. 30 to 150 seconds of almost complete darkness. When I finish a photo, I'll turn my headlamp back on and look at my camera to adjust settings and take another shot.

One time when I turned my head lamp on, I saw a pair of eyes just about fifteen feet away in the bushes staring at me. I've got friends who have worked setting camera traps throughout the country and I've seen picture evidence that there are still several types of big cats alive and well in the area.

I lean down to pick up some rocks, look back up, and the eyes are gone. My house is about 100 feet away. I do my best to turn my handful of rocks and dinky tripod into weapons and run as manly-like as I can back to my house.

I never went back out to take pictures at night.


The last two stories are on the next page!

9/10. The thing that gets me sometimes is the sounds. Sometimes you'll just hear some animal and it sounds like nothing you've ever heard before and you can't imagine it being anything like any animal you've ever even heard of. That combined with pitch blackness of the woods can creep you out.

Worst one was a couple months ago sitting under a tarp because it was raining a bit, small fire going a bit away with no other light. Heard a sound with a rhythm you would expect from a bird but with a deeper sound than any bird ever. Sound continues to repeat every couple seconds and slowly gets louder like it's getting closer. Then stops.

Never heard it again, but those couple minutes until I convinced myself it was gone I was creeped out no doubt.


10/10. Someone I worked with was surveying for birds in a relatively remote forest in Canada. They stumbled across a campsite that looked like it was about 5-10 years old. The tent was collapsed, but everything else looked like it was untouched. There was a clothesline up, dishes on the ground, and a few other items scattered around. Everything was dirty and covered in leaves, but there was no evidence of anything bad happening. She noped out of there before checking the tent.

To this day, I'm morbidly curious about what happened at that campsite.



Whoops. That snip was just a hair too far....

Your first bad haircut probably made you want to die a little when you looked in the mirror. Imagine how the person cutting your hair must have felt. Although, maybe they didn't care at all, as evidenced by the bs excuse they gave you when you finished in the barber chair.

Keep reading... Show less